How do your none cycling friends perceive you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My family sort of get it.
Been cycling my entire life and had little to no interest in anything else so its something they associate me with.
Mum still thinks I'm completely insane for doing a 50 mile ride but not as much as she used to and still rolls her eyes if she visits and catches me polishing or fettling the bike.
"It's just a bike Billy!"
No mum, it really isn't :rolleyes:

Mum ... still rolls her eyes if she visits and catches me polishing or fettling the bike.
"It's just a bike Billy!"

I used to feel guilty about this until I realised that the family bikes are our transport, (except for the younger lads who prefer waiting at cold bus stops for some reason) and I spend a fraction of the time and money fixing it that most car users spend on their vehicles.

The penny really dropped when I was complaining that my V-Brake blocks cost a whole 6 Euro to replace and they gave me withering looks...

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I quite enjoyed the geek status that cycling used to have, it led to a real camaraderie among cyclists that has gone as it has become more popular. Years ago I struck up a friendship with a guy I happened to be sharing a tube carriage with when we both noticed the other had a copy of Cycling magazine. And in my first job on leaving school life was made easy for me when myself and the chargehand both arrived on "Proper" bikes on my first day.

Now one doesn't look twice at another cyclist.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My wife thinks it’s great I have a hobby that makes me happy. She is terrified of me cycling at night when I’m less visible (I do have lights, but I think a giant spotlight still wouldn’t be enough for her).

My parents and sibling think I’m nuts because I cycle over 3 miles at a time. Maybe it makes them feel guilty for not exercising. After my first metric century, for a minute I thought they were looking to have me committed. They don’t exercise and are very overweight. Clinically so. To be fair, they have cycled the green route at the local forestry commission site and have pootled around the nature reserve cycle paths. My dad asks me about cycling on occasion, but I’ve learnt not to offer up more than a couple of sentences on the subject.

My BiL runs so he gets it. My SiL knows how much my BiL loves running so she gets it. Rest of the family look at me with indulgent smiles (“he’s insane to cycle, but happy”).

The only other people I know outside of family are from the cycling club - one of the reasons I joined. It’s great spending time with people who have the same interests as me. I‘m not the most social of people and don’t find it easy, but it makes it far easier to be sociable with like-minded people, a ready-made conversation topic, and I can ride along on my own when I want.
Oh and I think my parents were seriously considering ringing social services after the kids and I cycled 30 miles one day. The fact that there were other parents and kids with us on the ride dissuaded them.

Oh and I think my parents were seriously considering ringing social services after the kids and I cycled 30 miles one day. The fact that there were other parents and kids with us on the ride dissuaded them.

Why, and why did the presence of other parents prevent this?

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Why, and why did the presence of other parents prevent this?
They thought 30 miles for an 8 and 11 year old were much too far (they think 5 miles is too far on a bike). As it was a club Go Ride group, that seemed to make it more acceptable to them, but they still thought it much too far for the kids to cope with. They stopped commenting when my 8 year old told them that it was a fantastic ride, she was very proud of herself, and that next time she wanted to ride further and try for 40.

She's daddy's little girl :okay: My son said very nonchalantly that he did 30 miles but then we got home so he had to stop :laugh:

ren531

Über Member
Insane but thankfully only dangerous to himself ,I used to get work mates trying to get me to see the error of my ways and get me to buy a car but they have given me up as lost cause ,I cycled to the works Christmas "do" on Saturday and they would have been more surprised if I had gone any other way.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
They thought 30 miles for an 8 and 11 year old were much too far (they think 5 miles is too far on a bike). As it was a club Go Ride group, that seemed to make it more acceptable to them, but they still thought it much too far for the kids to cope with. They stopped commenting when my 8 year old told them that it was a fantastic ride, she was very proud of herself, and that next time she wanted to ride further and try for 40.

She's daddy's little girl :okay: My son said very nonchalantly that he did 30 miles but then we got home so he had to stop :laugh:

Brilliant! My Mum is also convinced that a 21-mile ride with my 6-year-old was pushing him a bit far for that age. But he just enjoyed a great day out with his Dad.

Brilliant! My Mum is also convinced that a 21-mile ride with my 6-year-old was pushing him a bit far for that age. But he just enjoyed a great day out with his Dad.

Reminds me, it's time to try getting Beautiful Daughter (Just turned 5) from her balance bike to a pedal bike. We'll have a go after Christmas. Trouble is her legs are long enough, but with her Japanese physique she finds it hard to reach the handlebars...

Last edited:
Top Bottom