How do your none cycling friends perceive you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I get constant stick from friends and co-.workers, kinda seen as the office freak for cycling.

I wonder how much of that is a form of subconscious envy: you've already achieved something when you arrive and you've been doing something you enjoy. Their commute was probably less enjoyable and fulfilling...

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
A few years back before i got back into cycling, i learnt that this old guy at work was cycling 40 miles a day commuting back and forth to work. The route he took was along busy fast A road, and was on split shifts doing 6am/2pm, and the following week doing 2pm/10pm.
The whole factory had polarised views of him. Some thought he was eccentric whilst overs thought he super human. Regardless to what they thought everybody was amazed at his fitness and perseverance at doing this all through the working year. The guy in question turned out to be an old long friend on mine who i tried and failed many times to beat in 10tt when i was a young lad. He's, been a life long cyclist and in his "hay day" he was top of his game.
My work place is huge and working in the office side of things, you don't know one person from the next on the factory lines and it was great to see him again after so many years of not seeing him.
He's retired now but every now and again we end up cycling together.
Even now after a few years of being back in the saddle i wouldn't attempt to cycle to work like he did. I don't think the mileage would bother me (famous last words lol) but the scary fast car infested road would put the fear of god into me after seeing all the idiots that travel along it over the last 15 years

Top Bottom