How do your none cycling friends perceive you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Oh don't.. That's too tragic :sad:

I've got lots of friends.

But I haven't got a telly... :smile:

I have my fiancee and kids. That'll do me. :smile:
I do have a telly :tongue:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I haven't got any friends.
I know what you mean i have always been an outsider , cycling just adds another layer to the onion for reason for folk to avoid me , back to cycling ...
Just had a work 6 month review and i got an rsi injury which i should have been going to work physio every day to rehab but due to manning it wasn't regular and took longer which i raised in my review, boss said itwas becuse i cycled as he used to cycle and his arm hurt .

I have been cycling for years so it now never really gets a mention amongst people who have known me for a while and I dont bother bringing the subjet up as I can see them getting bored before I start. The only people who push me to give up cycle commuting in bad weather etc are my family. My other hobby is Latin and Ballroom dancing so when people find out that, then they think I am a bit of a loon or wish they could do it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The only comments* I used to get was having a new car sat on the driveway, but I still commuted by bike. People could not get their head around the fact that I would rather cycle in the rain rather than be sat in traffic in a car. I solved the conundrum for them by getting rid of the car.

* other than ones about not wearing a helmet :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Colleagues simply can't understand the concept of riding to and from my home town, which is 21 miles from work. That's an un-imaginable distance to them.

DSK

Trouble is society has become very convenience orientated and generally lazy.

I live next to a 3 schools and there are local residents who love no more than a 1 minute walk from home to the gates but, they will drive the kid(s) to school and back! Many drive to the shop at the bottom of the road and back, literally a 15 second drive on way.

I have always enjoyed fitness of all types but as I can no longer run, cycling has filled that void. As soon as I am happy to be able to keep up a brisk pace, my distance increases and cycling makes sense. It cheaper and better than driving providing your commute consists of suitable roads/paths that you are happy to ride.

For me I find people find it admirable when others do it but I find the following excuses common;

'its dangerous, you can't trust car driver's',
'you will be sweaty when you get to work , carrying clothes etc, too much hassle'
'it can't be nice when its raining'
'if you get a puncture your stuck!'
'have you seen the cost of bikes these days! my car didn't even cost that!'

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I don't really know how they perceive me. Sometimes I wonder if they don't believe me, haven't really got any grasp as to what I do, or have reviewed their opinions and have silently moved me from the "just like us" to the "freakishly fit" category.

However I do know how I perceived the person I now am. Much like the OP, it isn't that long ago that I thought 50 miles was a major achievement, and that 100 miles was only for the freakishly fit. Only recently I would have thought that Hardknott pass was well beyond my capabilties.

It certainly helps your esteem to be able to do things that you had previously written off as something you would never be strong and fit enough to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom