How does anyone actually do a 200 Km ride in one day ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
On Hop Garden audax last weekend I was fortunate to roll out of the car park first. I set what I thought was an easy pace (see reports of cramp) for the first 20 miles or so. It was almost like me and @ianrauk were out on a normal ride. That wouldn't happen on a sportive

GuyBoden

Guru
To the OP, as you're in the Warrington area, there are many quiet lanes around Arley-Antrobus-Pickmere that been used as training loops by cyclists since serious cyclists emerged, map out a loop in the area and ride around the loop as many times as you can manage, then go back the next week and ride an extra loop, then ride another extra loop the week after that, etc....... until you can manage to ride loops that equal 200km or maybe you'll surprise yourself and ride more than 200km.

Loop Map provided on request.......
:bicycle:

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@jefmcg I don't think it's really fair to compare the palaver levels Ride London with a little Audax somewhere or other. Obviously the palaver-faffage is greater on big events, so compare RL with say, LEL. I'm sure LEL is high on palaver.

The little Evans ride it Sportives that I do occasionally are extremely similar to the Audaxes I've done in most ways. The differences are minor - cost is a little bit (not much) more. In a sportive there are some signposts; You get "free" gels and other tat; You don't have to spot the monarch's name on random pillar boxes; Sportives tend to be shorter. (Oh and mandatory hats, but let's not go off on that tangent).

For this reason I've never understood the audax/sportive contrasts. They are both just bike rides and the similarities exceed the differences IME.

@jefmcg I don't think it's really fair to compare the palaver levels Ride London with a little Audax somewhere or other. Obviously the palaver-faffage is greater on big events, so compare RL with say, LEL. I'm sure LEL is high on palaver.
It's not about fairness. Someone described getting a couple receipts as a palaver, but are fine with booking a hotel, queueing for 40 minutes, being stopped going up a hill (yeah, there was a fatality, so no one would complain about that) etc etc. I don't mind RideLondon being a palaver, i just don't enter it. I know that puts me in a minority.

I've ridden most of the RL course on another day. For me that was an fine ride, I don't mind traffic, so didn't missed the closed roads. The "overhead" of the sportive would all be detrimental to this experience. LEL on the other hand, everything they did made the ride easier than doing it on my own. Variable company, people waiting with hot food, beds, bicycle repair; I broke a cable in a lonely part of Scotland at 9pm, and 30km away, there was a mattress waiting for me while someone else fixed it for free. The start was the biggest palaver (only because I missed the finish) and that involved me having a cuppa and bacon bap with my partner, then wandering over to my bike to do final final check 10 minutes before my start time, the 30 seconds or so in a pen with the others in my group.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
To the OP, as you're in the Warrington area, there are many quiet lanes around Arley-Antrobus-Pickmere that been used as training loops by cyclists since serious cyclists emerged, map out a loop in the area and ride around the loop as many times as you can manage, then go back the next week and ride an extra loop, then ride another extra loop the week after that, etc....... until you can manage to ride loops that equal 200km or maybe you'll surprise yourself and ride more than 200km.

Loop Map provided on request.......
:bicycle:
I am planning a 100 miler in that area.....a very kind CCr linked me to a circular route but if you are able to send me a different option it would be good to look at......I will be starting at Winwick.
Preferably one where its all downhill and the wind is always behind me.

si_c

Guru
I am planning a 100 miler in that area.....a very kind CCr linked me to a circular route but if you are able to send me a different option it would be good to look at......I will be starting at Winwick.
The wind is often behind me. On reflection it could however be the fig rolls.

martint235

Dog on a bike
multiple people (I was one) joked that we didn't have to worry about the 2nd half of London-Edinburgh-London as - you only had to look at a map to see this - it was down hill all the way.

(I think I really believed this a little. :sad: )
For me at least the final day really, really got rid of that idea

GuyBoden

Guru

Here's a map of a nice short loop around Arley with few if any gradient:
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/#/route/666706/Arley-Loop

If you can ride 8 times around the loop, that's enough for 100miles.

Last edited:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Just checking my work club on Strava, and there's a guy who does a 200+km rides every weekend it seems (just to make a mockery of me, I think), and his last few rides are 9.5 hour moving time, 13.5 hour overall, so his secret seems to be plenty of rests..

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just checking my work club on Strava, and there's a guy who does a 200+km rides every weekend it seems (just to make a mockery of me, I think), and his last few rides are 9.5 hour moving time, 13.5 hour overall, so his secret seems to be plenty of rests..
Yesterday was 240km in 9hr 45 moving and 12 hours total. There was a fair bit of waiting around though.

Top Bottom