How does anyone actually do a 200 Km ride in one day ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I did LEJoG back in 2010 and did 120+ miles every day for eight days, ate just about anything I could get my hands on to be honest.....:laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Somewhere in my big box of photographs is a post-lunch photo taken while touring in Wales in the mid 1980s. It is of a ridiculously large pile of empty Mr Kipling cake boxes.

That's what you need a Barley for ;).
71NbQoAmDoL._SL1500_.jpg

Off the top of my head Saturdays food consisted of 6:00am bowl of Rice Krispy's , 6:40 a sausage sandwich and a cup of coffee as the cafe was open at the start ,10:45 early bird full english breakfast ,13:20 a Frijj milkshake ,14:45 a coffee,17:40 a cheese sandwich,mars bar and a milkshake , 19:20 a milkshake and a milkyway bar and whilst on the move jellybaby's but if I'm honest I didn't eat enough between the full english and the cheese sandwich so probably suffered more than I should have and when I finally fell through the door at 22:00 I had a cup of coffee had a shower and went to bed . As @outlash and @ianrauk say most of it is psychological ,you just push on until the next control/destination then set off again until you reach the end , anyone can do it if they want to :smile:

Paul

oldroadman

Veteran
Interesting to see that fuelling seems to consist of long intervals between substantial feeds. Has no-one tried what we old boys used to do, porridge or chicken and rice (or both) about 2 hours before the off, several coffees and a sweet snack at 15 minutes to go, then start eating from about 30 minutes in, and keep the drinks going to stay hydrated. Food before the advent of gels could be banana, little sandwiches of honey rolled into mini-swiss rolls, sultanas, and then something a bit heavier in the musette at feeds. Plus little cans of coke, to keep the energy high, and bits of chocolate bars, cereal bars, all in foil. In the context of a long steady ride, the "race feed" point would be where you might have a feed/café stop and load up a bit. Just don't overdo it as a very full stomach feels horrible and there's always a tidy little climb whenever that happens!
Really important to have a post ride/race bit of protein to start repair and recovery, and something sweet to top up energy immediately (usually coke), and of course never let yourself get thirsty. It still all works even in the days of gels and other "fuel". Personally I'm not keen on gels, have had a few unpleasant stomachs on them so stay away from them.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
For food while I'm on a solo day ride I use a pack of 6 rolls, preferably a moist, soft pack of cheese topped ones from Asda, filled with something tasty and moist such as egg mayonnaise, my current favourite. I'll soon be bored with that so I'll move onto something else on the list, probably tuna and sweetcorn. I pack these in three bags of two and that is all I need for the day apart from a couple of chocolate bars for emergency energy intake - rarely used so they sit in my rack-top bag for several weeks. Asda's own brand Mars equivalent does just fine.

Some feel-good food about 15 minutes before setting off, ideally a cooked breakfast but last night's leftover lasagne is just as good, plus a couple of strong black coffees. I quite often come home with a couple of rolls left in which case they get eaten with a cup of tea.

I'm supposedly type II diabetic but I don't let that bother me too much. Being put on Metformin meant I could get one of those magic cards giving me access to free blood pressure pills, which I'm very happy about. I understand that one of the benefits of Metformin is to enhance the body's ability to process sugar, and interestingly, regaining the belief that I could ride 100 mile days last autumn coincided precisely with starting to take the drug. All my readings have moved in the right direction, and there's no sensible argument for taking me off the drug when everything's working so well - result!

Preferred drink while riding - water.

e-rider

crappy member
I know this could get some very silly answers but..............hey-ho.
As an old fart who is gradually building the mileage up I don't do serious speed cycling e.g. today I did 27 miles and AVERAGED 11 mph.
I am planning a 100 miler but thinking..........hang about...........I will have to set of at 0700 in order to allow, say, 2 hours for breaks.........and still not get back till 1900
So....for anyone to do 160 miles in a day they would have to AVERAGE, say 16 mph.
That is serious cycling for the average person.
I did 200 miles (322 km) in 11.5 hours and 17.5 mph average speed - I'm 19 stone so if I can do it, anyone can. It requires some training, a strong mind and a willingness to suffer!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I did 200 miles (322 km) in 11.5 hours and 17.5 mph average speed - I'm 19 stone so if I can do it, anyone can. It requires some training, a strong mind and a willingness to suffer!
You may be 19 stone of muscle whereas I am 11 stone of 69 year old erh..........sludge?? :smile:

Top Bottom