How does anyone actually do a 200 Km ride in one day ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
OK I will [tackle a 200 km ride].

[Excuse #1]
[Excuse #2]

I really would have done it apart from those problems :smile:
If only somebody would organise a nice leisurely 200 km forum ride in Cheshire ... Oh, HANG ON A MINUTE!!! :okay:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
You can also deduce that everyone is different , go with what works for you but as @ianrauk says proper food is the best fuel. It takes a while to find out what works for you though

Oh yes for sure I've never been a Gel type I've only had 1 in my life and it put me off tbh reminded me of cold flavourd semolina xx(. I've been on a heavy diet for a year to the day tomorrow so combining that with outdoor cycling has been a bit tough a lot psychological admitidly. Filling my face with stuff I've intentionally stayed away from just seems to counter act the exercise. However when needed is something Im going to need to do in order to put in some distance cycling. Probably doesn't come across the way I'm intending it on here but I know what I mean (sort of :scratch:). Was just after some different suggestions as porridge before hand a banana and jelly babies during isn't cutting it for me currently.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've been on a heavy diet for a year to the day tomorrow so combining that with outdoor cycling has been a bit tough a lot psychological admitidly. Filling my face with stuff I've intentionally stayed away from just seems to counter act the exercise.
I have never managed to do a 200 km ride without losing at least one pound in weight, no matter what I have eaten and drunk on the day so I don't worry about it - I just eat and drink whatever I want to.

I usually have a big bowl of porridge in the morning with fruit added to it. On the ride I would probably get through 3-4 * 750 mL bottles of drink (1/3 OJ, 2/3 water, and a couple of heaped scoops of maltodextrin per bottle), a couple of bars of chocolate, a cheese salad sandwich or egg & beans on toast and some cake at a cafe, plus probably a large coffee and a Coke or two.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Warning, I'm off down another rabbit hole.

You know, when you use a word enough times, it loses it's meaning? By the time I finished writing this, I had exceeded my average annual usage of "palaver" by quite a bit. The word had ceased to have any meaning for me. Now I am wondering if it's a contronym. Because stopping at a cafe, or mini co-op or petrol station every 60 km or so seems like a nice way of breaking up a ride. This is my definition of palaver (back when I still thought I know what it meant).

1-img_2116-jpg.98879.jpg

vs
Start_of_Dinton_100k_Audax-700x300.jpg

(random image, but typical of my experience of audax starts)
That first image is my idea of sheer hell . I think i just fark off home .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OK I will.
Oh....my back has just gone.
Ah.....my knee has gone.
I really would have done it apart from those problems :smile:

Very good. But.. a 200km is achievable for your. Say set a date for around this time next year and build up to it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On the ride I would probably get through 3-4 * 750 mL bottles of drink (1/3 OJ, 2/3 water, and a couple of heaped scoops of maltodextrin per bottle)
How do you manage that. Do you visit convenience stores to buy your OJ on the way? Or do you start off with your special OJ mix and end up with water?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Weather permitting I'm planning to ride from Shoreham to Sevenoaks (less than 200km) and then, legs and motivation permitting, to Eynsford which hopefully will be 200.

Top Bottom