How early are you out

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by RoadRider400, 8 Jul 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    RoadRider400

RoadRider400 Active Member

Very much depends on how hot it is inside and thus how easily Baby Roadrider400 falls asleep.
    If getting up at the usual 5:15am (on ride days) then I aim to be asleep by 10:30pm latest. Saturday just gone I probably didnt fall asleep until 11pm though.
    I only ride once a week at the moment, aside from the short commute on my hybrid so one day with a shorter nights sleep isnt a big deal, and can always find 30 minutes for a powernap in the afternoon if really needed.
    Knowing I am off for a long summers morning bike ride means getting out of bed is really easy, then one coffee and im fine.

2. lane

lane Über Member

Actually two reasons I enjoy the long evenings this time of year.

3. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

Leisure rides this time of the year I like to be out of the door for around 6am.

4. delb0y

delb0y Guru

Earlier the better for me. I like to get out just as dawn is breaking. Like others on here, I can then get back for the life / chores stuff. I was up at 4:00 yesterday, but that was to go fishing :-) Generally for work I'm up at 5:00 so my body clock is set for an early start.

5. lane

lane Über Member

Bloody hell this thread is making me feel realy lazy. I don't even get up before 7 for work. Mind you never in bed before midnight.

6. lazybloke

lazybloke Über Member

Or night!

7. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey 20% through Decade 7. Yikes! Moderator

10am is early enough for me.

Our normal bedtime is somewhere between midnight and 2pm, although we are often up much later than that, so all this 4am, 5am etc malarky is a no go for me.

snorri, freiston, johnblack and 4 others like this.
  8. Jenkins

Jenkins Guru

Something has to be seriously wrong for me to be out on a bike before 10am on my day off unless it's for shopping. A decent lie in, mug of coffee and a good breakfast seems to take preference.

9. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

Quite often, so early that it's the previous night…
    Generally, I try and get going on a long ride between 8 and 9. But many, many earlier starts- if I've got to get a train at 5am, for example, to get to a ride start. Have been on the road before six to avoid (or try and avoid) heat and, on one occasion, thunderstorms. I still got rather wet, but it was so hot I dried out again :smile:

10. Most of my mates go out pretty early so they can still spend some of their day with the family. We tend to go out at 7.30am, occasionally a bit earlier if a long one is planned. It also helps that it tends to be light at that time all year round and not often icy.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2019
  11. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

6.30-7AM can be good on a weekend summer morning if a hot day. I'll stay out for a couple of hours then go home before it gets too hot out. If I don't get out early, then I ride in the evening after teatime before it gets dark when the sun isn't too strong. I avoid riding late mornings or afternoons unless the day is cool and not too sunny, in which case I will ride at any time of day. My aim is to stay cool and avoid getting sunburn. The peace and quiet and lack of traffic early in the morning is a bonus.

12. IanSmithCSE

IanSmithCSE Über Member

Good morning,

The better days are;

Go to the pub at 12:00

Get home, 16:00

Have dinner and go to sleep by 17:00

Wake up at 02:00

Leave house and Ride for an hour in the dark 02:30 (700 lumens headlight)

Hit fox, hare, badger, grouse or partridge because they try and outsprint me rather than just move to the left of right 03:30.

Go out in the daylight for the next few days until I forget how annoying falling off is.

Bye

Ian

freiston, Pat "5mph" and SpokeyDokey like this.
  13. Usually up by 4:30 on work days, on off days I can be out and going at 6, if I'm on a ride, but I don't see anything much below 95F, or 35C, as being hot enough to vary usual afternoon ride schedule. Dependent on dewpoint, of course.

14. wonderloaf

wonderloaf Über Member

Hit the road at 4.42 this morning, did 36 miles, home for (2nd) breakfast and back to bed . If this is retirement I'm loving it!

Blue Hills and johnblack like this.
  15. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

There is 5am too - can't convince our cats that 5am is not feeding time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice