How early are you out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
For leisure rides rather than the necessity of commuting?
Im only a casual rider going out once a week but I love getting out there at 6am or just before on Saturday or Sunday to be on the roads when they are mostly empty. Country lanes alone are brilliant. Thing is I dont see many other roadies until about 8am, and then there are loads of them heading into the country lanes from the main road out of town at about 9am, just as I am heading home.
Mrs RoadRider400 calls me a moron for getting up at 5:30, maybe she has a point.
:tired:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Weekends at this time of year - I like to be out the door at about 4am. Can do a longush ride before getting on with childcare and other 'real life' responsibilities. Tis a lovely time, the light around sunrise is amazing, wildlife activity, quiet roads and fresh air. Unbeatable.
Mrs L thinks I'm a loon too.

Never that early though did a 7am jaunt to Lligwy beach on Anglesey a couple of months ago and realised i should do it more often! This weekend it was out at 6pm back at 8.30pm, stunner of an evening though. Both have their merits i think.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
At weekends I try to be out before 7 normally. I rarely succeed, so it's normally 0710 or something like that. On hot summer days I do make an extra effort to avoid the heat and actually can be out by 0630.

tom73

Guru
Weekend I look to hit the road by 6.30 can't beat early morning once on the back roads love having nothing to keep you company than bird song , wildlife spotting and a few friends along the way.

Attachments

• IMG_3219.jpeg
    IMG_3219.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 8

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Because of a combination of family responsibilities and enjoying the solitude, ideally somewhere between 5am and 6am, all year round. Occasionally it has been 4am and it would be earlier, but for Mrs B (who continues to think I have lost the plot getting up so early), expressing her objections. I don't like leaving any later than 7am.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
7am usually at the weekends. Though if I am cycling to a start of an Audax. 4.30am is not unknown.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Blimey, I am amazed and impressed at you early riders. I need to have a bit of a lie in and a more relaxing start at the weekends so I' usually on the road by 9am, although that can have included a dog walk, dropping daughter at gymnastics etc beforehand so its not always a late start.
I agree that there is something special about being out in the road early but I see enough of that during the week !

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Weekends are 7am year round. Mid week pre work rides are usually 6am. Family life is the main driver here, although I am a naturally early riser.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you count my commutes home from work, most of them start between 00.00 and 02.00.... :blink:

Usually, 07.00 to 09.30, depending on the day, and with whom I'm riding.

Twice, I've been up early enough for a pedal with @biggs682 :laugh:

Last edited:

wonderloaf

Veteran
For some reason I tend to wake up at around 3am to 4am all year round, so at this time of year use this to my advantage to get out really early and try to be out before 5am. My rides are normally 3-4 hours in length so back home in time for brekkie with Mrs W and then the rest of the day ahead of me, if I can keep awake that is!

Top Bottom