How far do people really go....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S1mon

due to work in the summer i try get out 3 times a week with around 30-40 miles after work and most sundays are 40-50 miles

MisterStan

Label Required
Mainly commuting miles - 36-40 miles a day, 4-5 days a week. Weekends could be anything from 10 miles with the Wife (me pulling the trailer with our daughter in it) to a hundred miler. I enjoy getting out and doing non commuting miles, but to be honest, sometimes I just can't be bothered!

Bodhbh

Guru
The first couple of summers after I started cycling I'd go mad and do 200-250miles over the weekend (including Friday) with all the camping gear, nowadays mostly happy with the 20 mile round commute and the odd weekend trip. Rarely do more than 50miles. I tend to get bored just riding local loops, so it has to be 'going somewhere'.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I ride nearly every Sunday with our lass, current route is 26 miles. I try and get out on a Saturday morning for a 30+ miler, but the Saturday depends on how far I have commuted during the week, currently commuting circa 300 miles a week.

rams1de

Two mornings a week I'll do 20-25 miles and one evening ride that's reduced to 15-20 miles now that it's getting dark earlier.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't had a bad summer,i've done well over my expected 100 miles a week,but it'll drop down to around 60 cometh the dark nights. I don't travel far in autumn and winter,i prefer to stay in a 5 mile radius as you can get the same exercise and enjoyment on the local hills as anywhere else. If i can't go out on the bike due to bad weather i'll do the same miles on my turbo trainer but i don't think that you can replicate hill climbing on a turbo trainer.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
i don't think that you can replicate hill climbing on a turbo trainer.
Near enough, you can. You'd need to set a high resistance and lift the front of the bike up to simulate the climbing position. A mate got on my gym bike today and I showed him that I can set the friction brake to such a tough setting that it is like trying to ride up a 30% gradient.

The thing you can't easily replicate (unless you use rollers in some crazy way) is the fear of coming to a dead stop on a steep climb and falling off!

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
mainly commuter miles...but try amd get out at the weekend for a big ride...always try and do at least 100 miles a week

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Mainly commuting for me, which varies from 28 - 84 miles a day. The few leisure rides I have done range from 46 to 115 miles but these do not happen very often. Love riding but I love the free time to play with my little boy at weekends more.

Radchenister

Veteran
No commuting, just fitness / leisure riding and site seeing. Strava stats tell me just over 2200 miles this year, so approx 55 miles a week average. The actual miles vary each week, as indicated by the blue bars on the summary tell me that the distances loosely track the weather / seasons and amount of spare time available. 3 blanks recorded, showing as void weeks with no cycling at all, these equate to a trip away without bike, man flu and a particularly busy week at work. Not loads but enough to feel a darn site healthier.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Entirely leisure riding for me and as above, it varies quite a bit. At the time of writing my tally for the year is 2180 miles which averages out at just over 54 miles a week. However, that is skewed slightly by the fact that I lost most of April to illness and the mileage during March and May was fairly low due to poor weather.

Top Bottom