How far do people really go....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Good thread :thumbsup:

I do a 4 day commute, 35 mile round trip into London every day.

At the weekend I am out usually for one whole day. Anything from 50 to 100+ miles.
If the weather is looking good for the day then the goal is to do a 100+ miler. And of course there are the FNRttC and SMRbtH rides which range from 110 to 185 miles.

So far this year I have completed 23 100+ milers with a yearly goal of 26 so am well on target.
The year started off really badly with the first 3 months being really crappy weather and not getting out much on the bike. But I soon made up for it completing 11 100+milers on consecutive weekends.

So my cycling week is usually 5 days out of 7.
A Friday I am being a house hubby looking after our 3yo, but we usually do short trips in his trailer to the park and/or friends.

akb

Veteran
Since I have stopped commuting, I have started doing anywhere between 15-30 miles night ride in the evenings before I hit the hay. Trying to do it a couple of times a week.
Am also going to try and get a few more miles at the weekend, but havent done so yet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Me, it's 20-30 miles commute every day - anything upto 4 rides in a day if out on site.

Weekends should be at least one ride with the club of 40-50 miles (cafe stop and lots of coffee). Only managed 3 this year due to some 'sitting problems'. I usually spend weekends away with the family though, so it's rides with the kids when we can at weekends. November to March we are at home, and hoping to slot in at least one club ride a week when my 'sitting issue' is fixed on Monday !

Skipper

Three times a week I get up early and cycle about 30 to 35 miles. Sometimes, when it's dark/cold/windy/wet etc I think I must be mad, and the only person insane enough to do it. However, reading some of these posts makes it slightly less crazy. Weekends I go further, maybe 45 miles, but that's enough.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
This for me too. It must be a 'live near Bristol, work from home' thing :smile:
My OH cycle commutes from Charfield to Filton - about 13 miles each way, the first half on country B roads, rest on the A38. The only way I dig myself out some days (esp in dodgy weather) is to cycle with him to the A38, then come back - so I do 'commute' to work occasionally! It also makes me cycle faster than my default 'bimbling' speed!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Me, it's 20-30 miles commute every day - anything upto 4 rides in a day if out on site.

Weekends should be at least one ride with the club of 40-50 miles (cafe stop and lots of coffee). Only managed 3 this year due to some 'sitting problems'. I usually spend weekends away with the family though, so it's rides with the kids when we can at weekends. November to March we are at home, and hoping to slot in at least one club ride a week when my 'sitting issue' is fixed on Monday !
MTFU and stand on the pedals!! :thumbsup:

tyred

Legendary Member
I aim for 100 miles per week, covering perhaps 150 miles in summer if I have time. Not a huge amount by some standards but time is limited and it is quite hilly around here and I often ride fixed and single speed bikes. I'm not "in training," just going at whatever pace feels right on the day; ranging from pretty sedate to quite brisk at times.

Last week was my biggest as I did my first cycle tour with 230 miles from Tuesday to Saturday, taking in some very hilly terrain like the fabled Torr Head on the north Antrim coast. Add that to the 80 miles I did over Sat and Sun last weekend and that is over 300 miles in a week. I didn't think I had those sort of miles in my legs so feel very pleased with myself but the pace was mostly very leisurely and I travelled light as I deposited all my luggage at the hostel where I based myself. The moral is not to underestimate yourself if you've been cycling regularly for a few years.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Monday-Friday I go out 3-4 times and have a nice countryside run, depending on the turns I take it's anything from 47miles to 56 miles long. I usually leave around 9.00pm after getting in from work, eating, chilling out and nattering to my wife. This is my postbox run!

Saturday may be a nighttime run but I try to avoid going out on Saturday night and save my energy for the Sunday run which will be 70-100 miles plus depending on where I go and what the weathers like, and if we've been out for lunch.

Svendo

Guru
When asked I usually say 'oh around 150 miles a week', but having looked at the data I usually commute 75-90 miles a week depending on shifts and routes, and then do 30-60 miles on my days off although sometimes it'll be a big ride up to 100 miles. So my real average is around 110 and range is 80 to 160.

Top Bottom