How far do people really go....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rupie

Über Member
I'm a keen cyclist, and go out when ever I can. I sometimes go out in the week, sometimes at the weekend. When I go out I normally go out either on my own or with a friend. Sometimes we catch the train somewhere and cycle home, sometimes we go around in a big circle. We are not training for anything peticular, nor ever have done, apart from the odd charity ride. So, apart from commuting or training, how far do people really go, on rides. I know some do hundreds of miles each weeked, but I think this is a small minority, over the years I started at 15 mile runs but normally do about 45 miles on my non carbon road bike. I have done further, and can if needed, i've cycled 110 miles This is not a post to find who goes the furthest but to see what people actually do, on average. Dont tell me how long it takes either, again its not a compatition.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Routinely, a couple of rides at the weekend, about 20-25 miles each. Rarely, something a bit longer, about 60-75 miles. I do about 55 miles commuting every week as well which is a pleasure, not a chore.

IainC

5 yr lurker
I'm a keen cyclist too, but a job, kid, other half and knackeredness conspire against me. If I'm lucky I do a 10 mile circuit 3 times a week at about 6am and then 10-20 miles at the weekend. I wish I could claim 50 or 100 milers but until a time machine is invented I don't have enough of it. I have to say though that my favourite rides are often ones when I have a fixed but short time slot and I attempt to squeeze more miles in than I know I can do in the time, and thus come back a sweating nauseous mess. The last one involved toppling down the stairs on rubber legs when I got back. An hour later I feel like a god :laugh:

OP
OP
Rupie

Rupie

Über Member
I'm a keen cyclist too, but a job, kid, other half and knackeredness conspire against me. If I'm lucky I do a 10 mile circuit 3 times a week at about 6am and then 10-20 miles at the weekend. I wish I could claim 50 or 100 milers but until a time machine is invented I don't have enough of it. I have to say though that my favourite rides are often ones when I have a fixed but short time slot and I attempt to squeeze more miles in than I know I can do in the time, and thus come back a sweating nauseous mess. The last one involved toppling down the stairs on rubber legs when I got back. An hour later I feel like a god :laugh:
I understand and have been there....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Once or twice a week I'll do an evening ride of say 20 to 25 miles with no stops.
At the weekend it's typically a Sunday morning 40 miler with a cake stop.
A few times a year we'll do a 100 or so miler day ride (we did the Barbury Bash Audax and clocked 150 miles all told).

I'd do more if I had more time, was single and traveled away less!

OP
OP
Rupie

Rupie

Über Member
I dont commute, which must be a great way to train, infact due to work I can do lots of miles one month, then nothing for 6 weeks, so have to start again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The ride I do most often is only 19 miles, but it does include England's longest continuous hill (Cragg Vale) and totals about 1,500 ft of ascent. There are numerous variations I can do to that basic route, adding hundreds of ft of climbing and potentially taking it up to about 28 miles.

Nearly all of my rides involve starting off going up one of 3 big hills because the only other choice is use the valley road which usually has too much traffic on it for my liking.

goody

Veteran
Normal weekend ride is about 60-80 miles depending on how long I want to stay out. I try to do something a bit longer every so often last month it was 160 miles down near Cheltenham the one before that a 300k Audax. End of this month I'm off to Tenerife taking the bike for a few days riding. When I get back from there I'm hoping to ride from home (south london) to Newhaven-Dieppe-Calais-Dover then Home probably take just over 24 hrs. I did my own friday night ride to the coast last month as well set out about 9pm heading for the McD's at Newhaven via Brighton then rode home got in about 4.30am. I just like to set myself little challenges every now and then.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
At least 50 miles a a week utilitarian cycling, this if I don't go anywhere else but work and back all week.
More realistic is about 60/70 a week, don't have a car, cycle or walk places.
Longer rides maybe once or twice a month, anything from 50 to 80 miles, done 110 but just the once.
Planning to add more hilly miles to the commute, fancy doing a certain sportive next year :whistle:

RhysB

60-75 decent pace on a day off, a day or two later usually about a steadier 20 miler to sort the legs out, then up to a 50 miler before a 2pm start at work later in the week if I can for me. Usually switch three or so rides of these distances about when I can. Will see how it lasts through winter!

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm out 2 or 3 Sundays a month, I average between 60-65 miles, my longest this year has been 78 miles, I commute 4 days most weeks, 13 miles a day, I haven't got time to do much more than that.

Top Bottom