how far do you commute?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by alecstilleyedye, 18 Aug 2012.

?
  1. <1 mile

24 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. 1-5 miles

263 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. 6-10 miles

325 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. 11-15 miles

255 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. 16-20 miles

150 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. >20 miles

226 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Brandane

Brandane Fair weather cyclist.

Another change of job means I will be going from a 25 mile each way drive (on unsafe to cycle, IMO, roads) to a 0.9 mile cycle commute! Looking forward to not wasting 90 minutes per day just getting to and from work, not to mention the stress and expense involved.

Slick and Drago like this.
  2. clid61

clid61 Über Member

16 hilly miles round trip

3. KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike I do my own stunts

Currently 10.5 miles but I'm looking at changing job which will be 21.5 miles. I'm both looking forward to this and apprehensive at the same time as one route would take me almost past my current job, so when it's pishing it down with rain I'll undoubtedly be thinking "if I was still working for the NHS I'd be here by now"...

Enough people already say "from Didcot?!" when I tell them where I cycle from currently so god knows what people will say at double the distance...

4. JohnnyRoyal

JohnnyRoyal Well-Known Member

Mine is a 7.9 miles each way. However I work shifts so sometimes I ride in the rush hour or I am riding home at midnight! the roads are much better then^_^

5. Icarus

Icarus Member

10 miles each way. Flat along the river towpath past Chiswick and up through Putney - beautiful ride.

6. It's been 20miles a day this week on average of very slow active recovery miles this week for me.

7. Dreamer21

Dreamer21 Active Member

Do you take anything for recovery?

8. They were recovery paced commutes and other than my tea nothing was needed. Had off site meetings the next week and only managed 41 miles plenty of rest days and plenty of recovery in between commutes.
    With the weather supposedly getting better I'll up the intensity of some and may take something for recovery after (raid the local shop for a milk shake and food :okay:). That was the plan tonight but I got caught in a lightning storm and forgo the shop :rain:

9. Changed my vote.

Now commuting about 14.5km each way.

10. waldiman

waldiman Active Member

Finally decided to do the commute. 6.5 miles each way. Majority is over two canals, so not much traffic to deal with.

11. FortuitousFluke

FortuitousFluke Active Member

Just moved jobs so I've gone from 8 miles each way Cambourne to Cambridge, to 10-12 miles (dependent on route) from Cambourne to St Neots station, and then about 3.5 miles from Kings Cross to Tower Bridge on the glorious Boris Bikes. I actually quite like it, first leg is nicer than my previous commute, better scenery, and I'm pretty nosey so riding through the City and across London Bridge every day is quite interesting too. Ask me again in January though!

Last edited: 12 May 2017
  12. Threevok

Threevok Über Member

3.2 Miles each way. A bit boring, so I have been using the Single speed on a 34/14t ratio, to make life a little more interesting, especially on the final hill

13. Chappy

Chappy Veteran

I have just moved jobs so I am now able to ride my bike 28 miles each way ^_^^_^:bicycle:. Currently I am doing this 2 times a week but will up it to 4 times when i build up my strength.

14. Threevok

Threevok Über Member

28 miles ? Wow, that's nearly as much as I do both ways in one week!

Well done

15. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Just started, 27 mile round trip. Only done it one day each week so far but hoping to get more in as the weather gets better.
    My problem is my job is physically demanding and I'm walking approx 17 thousand steps a day. I've not really got organised yet either, blooming running around at each end trying to remember and get everything together.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice