How far on one drivetrain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renard

Cleaned up winter bike the other day and noticed that the chainrings etc are a bit worn. Then I worked out that I have done 4000 miles on it so far without even changing the chain. Got me wondering how far I can push it before it disintegrates.

What's the biggest mileage you've done on the one drivetrain without replacing anything?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Erm, about 6000 miles :smile:

Had to replace the lot.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Mine was around the 5000 mark, by then the cassette and chain was also badly worn so upgraded from Tiagra to 105 as Shimano didn't do the old tiagra any more. The total cost was more as the BB had to be replaced as well.

mr Mag00

rising member
is it not cheaper to replace the chain once a year?
thats what i tend to do in the spring after the worst of the winter weather and before the summer. (hahahaha)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
My MTB drivetrain died a few months ago, after 11 years!!
I have no recollection of ever changing the chain and it only started to skip when the rollers started to peel off the pins!

I don't know if this was down to maintainance, luck or good components.

The clarty hack will soon be given a loving and overdue overhaul and ready for utility duty after the hols!:rolleyes:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I get 6500 miles out of a chain
12000 miles out of a cassette
and the chain wheel has done well over 15000 miles and still show signs of damage as yet
I was told that my drivetrain lasts longer because I don’t grind gears and just spin, I have no idea if this is right or not

twowheelsgood

I would have said you should have replaced the chain to extend the life of the other more expensive stuff.

Life will depend on a lot of things, your physical strength, maintenance and your gear-changing habits (keeping a straight chain). My hybrid chainrings are on 10k+km and look OK.

If you want very long life, replace with TA rings.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
6500 on a chain....good going...... as mentioned, it all depends upon what conditions you ride in, your maintenance regime etc etc......

If you shop about, you can get good prices on chain rings.... Ribble are good for stronglight road sets - dural 6000 series alloy - cheap as chips, and zircal 7000 series, aka TA/OEM stuff and still good. Chain Reaction do some canadian MTB rings - Blackspire - cracking - just bought a 7000 series alloy one for £15 from them - let's just say it's thick and well made with some serious ramps.....

Top Bottom