How far without food?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Isn't there a certain side effect with Fig Rolls?

What, Speed? (to the toilet :laugh:)

rowdin

Terence david
Keeping my heart rate below 80% of my max i've done 50 miles with no food. Thats with a avg pace of 14.7 mph i did'nt try for 50, just a 3 hour ish ride at that HR, Atfer i got back i was feeling fine and could have done more. So as some have said keep your heart rate low and you will ride for hours without food.

Zofo

Veteran
Keeping my heart rate below 80% of my max i've done 50 miles with no food. Thats with a avg pace of 14.7 mph i did'nt try for 50, just a 3 hour ish ride at that HR, Atfer i got back i was feeling fine and could have done more. So as some have said keep your heart rate low and you will ride for hours without food.

Yeah I would agree with that. I think for the avearge 2 hr training ride in Zones 2/3 --as per Joe Friel et al--then you are ok on just water or Zipvit etc. If on the other hand you are trying for a good time on a 100 mile sportive then I would recommend 500ml of carb drink per hr, otherwise you are in real danger of bonking.

ushills

Veteran
I seem to consume a lot of water and burn a lot of calories. 1 litre about every 20 miles and around 800-1000 calories per hour, however, I am generally at between 85-95% of my HRmax.

When on the MTB I can do without food or drink due to the intermittent effort, on my road bike when training I always pushing.

I've started using carb powder in my drinks and electrolyte to stop the headaches and a good glass of milk when I get back.

Fig rolls are great but I too eat the packet/s.

Top Bottom