How far would you commute in normal clothes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Depends on the job, the distance, the weather, your pace and your bodily reactions to heat.
I'm an engineer so public contact /working in a close environment doesn' happen for me so no problem there.
3 miles each way daily years ago, this last year i did occasional 14 mile commutes each way, still no real problem, yes i sweat but am one of those lucky people who dont smell...as far as I know.
At 14 miles I take the pace down a notch or two, enjoy it but dont' push and sweat like a pig.

So I sweat a bit but don't smell, my I can work in the clothes I've commuted in and pace myself to arrive as fresh as is reasonably possible.

And there' nothing better than those summer afternoon s when you'e looking forward to home time...and enjoying those miles home in the sun.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I assume you carry your trumpet in a gig bag on your back. What make do you have?
Yes - it's not elegant, but I can carry on my back my dress suit, shoes, music stand and three trumpets. Makes... various - the main ones are Olds, Vincent Bach, and Selmer.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
That's a lovely collection. Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant what make of gig bag do you have?
Tom & Will for single, Brass Bags (trumpet & flugel version, though it'll take three trumpets at a push) for multiple. The Brass Bags is a piece of genius for its use of space. I'd not put it in an aircraft hold, but it's well-enough padded for most other times.

I've actually got quite a few more trumpets than that (including a rather lovely Olds Recording from 1960)!

Julia9054

Guru
Tom & Will for single, Brass Bags (trumpet & flugel version, though it'll take three trumpets at a push) for multiple. The Brass Bags is a piece of genius for its use of space. I'd not put it in an aircraft hold, but it's well-enough padded for most other times.

I've actually got quite a few more trumpets than that (including a rather lovely Olds Recording from 1960)!
I have a Tom and Will - very frayed and in need of replacement which was why I was asking. I only play cornet these days so so only need a single.
My son's main trumpet is a Bach Strad 72 Vindabona - a lovely instrument.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I commute 7.5 miles each way as often as I can. Originally I would just wear my suit trousers and take a change of top - this worked fine until about 6 months in I realised I'd worn a shiny saddle-shaped patch into my suit trousers. One new pair of suit trousers later I decided to buy a pair of trousers to wear on the commute and get changed at work. This has worked really well and I wouldn't go back :okay:

The trousers I wear to work now are Trespass DLX Stretchy jobbies and the fit/cut is very well suited for cycling including drawstrings around the ankles. They were on sale but I think they're eye-wateringly expensive otherwise - I hope the arse doesnt wear through too quickly :laugh:

Edit to say these are the ones: https://www.trespass.com/canyon-mens-dlx-walking-trousers

Crankarm

Guru
I wouldn't want to work along side some who rode to and from work in their work clothes and didn't change. Gross and yuk.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Twenty miles, to work and back of a Saturday, but I was working outside, with busses as my only company. The bike ride did remove some of the smell of internal combustion from me before I got to the restaurant (fast food) where I met Mrs. GA after. I wouldn't be very comfortable going much further, cycling pants have flat seams for a reason.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Twenty miles, to work and back of a Saturday, but I was working outside, with busses as my only company. The bike ride did remove some of the smell of internal combustion from me before I got to the restaurant (fast food) where I met Mrs. GA after. I wouldn't be very comfortable going much further, cycling pants have flat seams for a reason.
Are there active-work trousers without flat seams? That seems(!) :crazy:

mjr

By the way, this week I have mostly been cycling in fleece-lined trousers, merino socks, army-pattern boots, T-shirt, flannel shirt, impermeable coat, thermal gloves, balaclava and beanie. Also been walking in it and to a meeting and a medical appointment. Is it normal or not? No cycling-specifics but definitely tending to cold-outdoors-ready. I didn't even mind much that the doctor's door was still locked when I arrived, while a motorist had to go back to sit in their car to wait :laugh:

mjr

I will be doubly impressed if you tell me you managed to attach cleats to them without destroying their waterproofness
I understand it's possible if you basically melt the welly onto a plastic pipe over the SPD's bolts and seal the head onto the pipe before replacing the insole.

I think this May might be our fourth annual welly ride from King's Lynn's Lynnsport to the Hunstanton lifeboat station. Probably Sat 5th May. Come up, make a long weekend of it: have a day off the bike on the Sunday (there'll be plenty of events on around the fens) and then do the Reach Ride from Cambridge on the Monday 7th.

Top Bottom