1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far would you commute in normal clothes?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by clf, 17 Jan 2018.

1. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

By the way, this week I have mostly been cycling in fleece-lined trousers, merino socks, army-pattern boots, T-shirt, flannel shirt, impermeable coat, thermal gloves, balaclava and beanie. Also been walking in it and to a meeting and a medical appointment. Is it normal or not? No cycling-specifics but definitely tending to cold-outdoors-ready. I didn't even mind much that the doctor's door was still locked when I arrived, while a motorist had to go back to sit in their car to wait :laugh:

2. Dan B

Dan B Señor Member

I will be doubly impressed if you tell me you managed to attach cleats to them without destroying their waterproofness

3. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

I understand it's possible if you basically melt the welly onto a plastic pipe over the SPD's bolts and seal the head onto the pipe before replacing the insole.

I think this May might be our fourth annual welly ride from King's Lynn's Lynnsport to the Hunstanton lifeboat station. Probably Sat 5th May. Come up, make a long weekend of it: have a day off the bike on the Sunday (there'll be plenty of events on around the fens) and then do the Reach Ride from Cambridge on the Monday 7th.

Gravity Aided and ADarkDraconis like this.
  4. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

I must be REALLY slow ... I read many of your posts but not only did I not pick up on the 'trumpet' in your forum name, I didn't notice the trumpet in your avatar either! :wacko: :laugh:

briantrumpet likes this.
  5. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Veteran

I did think about it, but my Nora wellies are far too wonderful to destroy for the sake of a time trial, so I made it into an exercise of keeping my feet in contact with the SPD pedals without any cleats.

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  6. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

I can cycle 10 miles quite happily in jeans etc, the main issue is the weather at the time and destroying jeans. So my regular bottom half is leggings on the bike, either full or 3/4 length. And then into summer I switch to shorts. Top half, what ever I fancy wearing.

The other restriction is some skirts/dresses are awkward to cycle in, if they are quite straight in shape.

ADarkDraconis and Pat "5mph" like this.
  7. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

It really depends on what one considers being "normal clothes".
    I wear a uniform at work, we get food/drink splattered within half an hour of starting work.
    I will normally cycle in a pair (or 2 if baltic) of leggings, top according to the temperature, a beanie hat, a buff for the neck only, grippy shoes again according to the weather: commute is 5 miles each way.
    If it drizzles, I let my legs get wet, I don't mind, change at work anyway.
    If it rains heavy I'll put a waterproof trousers on.
    In winter I always wear my Altura night vision jacket because it keeps me dry and not too hot.
    If it's mild and dry, I might put the jacket in my panniers, as it could rain any minute here!
    Since starting using the bike as transport, I had to give up wearing my woolly jumpers and would really only cycle in jeans if there's no chance of rain, as they feel horrid wet.
    Today was cold but dry, cycled to work in lycra (not cycling) leggings plus a pair of warmer ones.
    Had a long sleeved polo neck on, and a short sleeve top.
    Merino socks and walking shoes, plus my cycling jacket and my hat.
    Because I was not working with the public today, I just kept these clothes on for the shift.
    In summer I would wear leggings with a dress or seamless trousers and a vaguely sporty top.
    I tend to buy my clothes with a view of how comfortable they would be on the bike.
    I hate padded shorts, and the polyester cycling tops are made of, the ones I have tried anyway, smell funny imo.

Gravity Aided likes this.
  8. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

I normally make sitting positions when I'm trying on trousers to see how comfortable they would be on the bike!! I often think if anyone saw me they would wonder what I was up to!

9. jarlrmai

jarlrmai Veteran

I cycle my tiny commute in work clothes apart from the pants, I found my work trousers were getting dirty so I change into them at work.

10. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

Going commando. I like the cut of your gib, sir.

11. Not as flat or padded like cycling gear, anyway.