How far would you commute in normal clothes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes - it's not elegant, but I can carry on my back my dress suit, shoes, music stand and three trumpets. Makes... various - the main ones are Olds, Vincent Bach, and Selmer.

I must be REALLY slow ... I read many of your posts but not only did I not pick up on the 'trumpet' in your forum name, I didn't notice the trumpet in your avatar either! :wacko: :laugh:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I will be doubly impressed if you tell me you managed to attach cleats to them without destroying their waterproofness
I did think about it, but my Nora wellies are far too wonderful to destroy for the sake of a time trial, so I made it into an exercise of keeping my feet in contact with the SPD pedals without any cleats.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I can cycle 10 miles quite happily in jeans etc, the main issue is the weather at the time and destroying jeans. So my regular bottom half is leggings on the bike, either full or 3/4 length. And then into summer I switch to shorts. Top half, what ever I fancy wearing.

The other restriction is some skirts/dresses are awkward to cycle in, if they are quite straight in shape.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It really depends on what one considers being "normal clothes".
I wear a uniform at work, we get food/drink splattered within half an hour of starting work.
I will normally cycle in a pair (or 2 if baltic) of leggings, top according to the temperature, a beanie hat, a buff for the neck only, grippy shoes again according to the weather: commute is 5 miles each way.
If it drizzles, I let my legs get wet, I don't mind, change at work anyway.
If it rains heavy I'll put a waterproof trousers on.
In winter I always wear my Altura night vision jacket because it keeps me dry and not too hot.
If it's mild and dry, I might put the jacket in my panniers, as it could rain any minute here!
Since starting using the bike as transport, I had to give up wearing my woolly jumpers and would really only cycle in jeans if there's no chance of rain, as they feel horrid wet.
Today was cold but dry, cycled to work in lycra (not cycling) leggings plus a pair of warmer ones.
Had a long sleeved polo neck on, and a short sleeve top.
Merino socks and walking shoes, plus my cycling jacket and my hat.
Because I was not working with the public today, I just kept these clothes on for the shift.
In summer I would wear leggings with a dress or seamless trousers and a vaguely sporty top.
I tend to buy my clothes with a view of how comfortable they would be on the bike.
I hate padded shorts, and the polyester cycling tops are made of, the ones I have tried anyway, smell funny imo.

I wouldn't want to work along side some who rode to and from work in their work clothes and didn't change. Gross and yuk.
8747681509_b7c19ea84b_z.jpg

bonker

Guru
I used to cycle 6miles each way in office clothes . Gave up because I was wearing so many shirts, trousers, pants, shoes and ties out

Top Bottom