How far would you commute in normal clothes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I find it hard to believe it takes 20 minutes to get changed what are you doing?
Is that with a bath or shower included?
I'm not saying I take 20 minutes, but I must admit, it can feel like a mad rush to get all your winter gear on in the evening.

Julia9054

Guru
I'm not saying I take 20 minutes, but I must admit, it can feel like a mad rush to get all your winter gear on in the evening.
It would probably take me 20 minutes if I used the staff shower (which I can't because it is in the gents) including drying hair and putting a bit of slap on.

Slick

Guru
It would probably take me 20 minutes if I used the staff shower (which I can't because it is in the gents) including drying hair and putting a bit of slap on.
Well it probably does take me twenty minutes and more in the morning as I can use the showers as our showers are in the gym and whilst the girls usually use one and boys the other, they aren't officially gender specific. If Mrs Slick is any kind of yard stick, drying hair and putting on a bit of slap would burst the hour mark. :laugh:

Julia9054

Guru
Well it probably does take me twenty minutes and more in the morning as I can use the showers as our showers are in the gym and whilst the girls usually use one and boys the other, they aren't officially gender specific. If Mrs Slick is any kind of yard stick, drying hair and putting on a bit of slap would burst the hour mark. :laugh:
I'm a bit more low maintenance! I keep baby wipes, a towel, deodorant and a hair dryer on a peg in the cloakroom.

byegad

Legendary Member
In normal clothes you ca certainly ride 10 miles each way. The trick is to ride slow enough so as you don't sweat. I used to do it 12 miles each way, carrying my jacket and work shoes in a pannier and wearing a breathable top. If it rains you do need a cape and lower leg gaiters, and the cape will slow you down a lot.

I usually rode in in cycling gear and showered and changed before work, it meant I could ride much faster and save most of the time it took to do this. I used to get a coffee and sit at my desk waiting for log-in time while colleagues cruised the works car park looking for a space.

swansonj

Guru
Define normal clothes. The definition is different for different people.
+1. Wearing non-padded but sports-specific boxers (no seams and wicking) and lightweight walking trousers, which is perfectly acceptable in my normal workplace (admittedly not the company head office) I am quite happy to cycle 10+ miles. Jeans I find chafe unpleasantly after barely 2 miles.

I have cycled 30 miles each way to a meeting wearing a suit (trousers and shirt, jacket in the pannier). As others have said, as long as there is no chafing problem, the issue becomes wear and tear on the clothing rather than comfort.

Slick

Guru
EuroNorm 469? :laugh:
BSEN469 I'll have you know. :thumbsup:

The time of year and time of the has an influence on me (temperature basically) but when I worked at the council in an office I would regularly commute in work clothes up to 30 miles on a fixie. If it was too hot it'd only be the direct 1.4miles. For a long commute whilst I would wear work trouser with a very thin breathable pair of overtrousers, unless it was Autumn/ Winter/ Spring, I wear a cycling top and change.

At my current workplace there's conveniently a shower so I find it more comfortable to get more time in bed and cycle in Lycra and shower and change there.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
As it takes me all of about three minutes to put on the cycling gear and two minutes to take it off and change into work clothes at work, I never cycle the four miles to work in anything but proper cycling gear. My other work involves wearing a dress suit for concerts, so that gets taken in a rucksack and donned at the venue. The only time I've worn it for riding was for a fancy dress time trial, (and it was neither the most comfortable nor the most aero outfit I've ever worn - though the hand-tied bow tie was appreciated).

Julia9054

Guru
As it takes me all of about three minutes to put on the cycling gear and two minutes to take it off and change into work clothes at work, I never cycle the four miles to work in anything but proper cycling gear. My other work involves wearing a dress suit for concerts, so that gets taken in a rucksack and donned at the venue. The only time I've worn it for riding was for a fancy dress time trial, (and it was neither the most comfortable nor the most aero outfit I've ever worn - though the hand-tied bow tie was appreciated).

I assume you carry your trumpet in a gig bag on your back. What make do you have?

gaijintendo

Veteran
Am I the only person who wears his cycling kit all day at work?

I keep a Normal Person Disguise or two at work and keep them fresh for meetings with external people - I might stick a pullover on if it's a bit cold or I am in a podgy phase (current state). When I'm out of shape, I would permanently shower and wear the NPD.

In previous jobs... I had to wear... Shirts!

Top Bottom