1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How far would you commute in normal clothes?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by clf, 17 Jan 2018.

1. ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Well-Known Member

I have a job where the dress is business, so casual non-cycle specific clothes for the ride and then changing and freshening up once I get there (baby wipes and extra antiperspirant, anyone?) is my game plan. Not only are my work slacks and skirts kind of restricting, I would probably get them covered in all sorts of muck and road grime.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  2. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

I find it hard to believe it takes 20 minutes to get changed what are you doing?
    Is that with a bath or shower included?

BrumJim likes this.
  3. Slick

Slick Über Member

I'm not saying I take 20 minutes, but I must admit, it can feel like a mad rush to get all your winter gear on in the evening.

4. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

It would probably take me 20 minutes if I used the staff shower (which I can't because it is in the gents) including drying hair and putting a bit of slap on.

Slick likes this.
  5. Slick

Slick Über Member

Well it probably does take me twenty minutes and more in the morning as I can use the showers as our showers are in the gym and whilst the girls usually use one and boys the other, they aren't officially gender specific. If Mrs Slick is any kind of yard stick, drying hair and putting on a bit of slap would burst the hour mark. :laugh:

6. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

I'm a bit more low maintenance! I keep baby wipes, a towel, deodorant and a hair dryer on a peg in the cloakroom.

Slick likes this.
  7. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

Define normal clothes. The definition is different for different people.

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  8. byegad

byegad Guru

In normal clothes you ca certainly ride 10 miles each way. The trick is to ride slow enough so as you don't sweat. I used to do it 12 miles each way, carrying my jacket and work shoes in a pannier and wearing a breathable top. If it rains you do need a cape and lower leg gaiters, and the cape will slow you down a lot.

I usually rode in in cycling gear and showered and changed before work, it meant I could ride much faster and save most of the time it took to do this. I used to get a coffee and sit at my desk waiting for log-in time while colleagues cruised the works car park looking for a space.

9. swansonj

swansonj Veteran

+1. Wearing non-padded but sports-specific boxers (no seams and wicking) and lightweight walking trousers, which is perfectly acceptable in my normal workplace (admittedly not the company head office) I am quite happy to cycle 10+ miles. Jeans I find chafe unpleasantly after barely 2 miles.

I have cycled 30 miles each way to a meeting wearing a suit (trousers and shirt, jacket in the pannier). As others have said, as long as there is no chafing problem, the issue becomes wear and tear on the clothing rather than comfort.

10. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

I think its a bit cold for work trousers and jeans on a bike at the moment for a long ride. I know because I ride in jeans all the time and when they are getting spashed its not great.Your legs can get really cold.

Pat "5mph" and Slick like this.
  11. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

EuroNorm 469? :laugh:

12. Slick

Slick Über Member

BSEN469 I'll have you know. :thumbsup:

13. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Veteran

Tonight I'll definitely not be cycling to work in work clothes... I'm playing in an oompah band, and the Lederhosen are supplied...

14. Milzy

Milzy Über Member

4.275 miles

gaijintendo likes this.
  15. The time of year and time of the has an influence on me (temperature basically) but when I worked at the council in an office I would regularly commute in work clothes up to 30 miles on a fixie. If it was too hot it'd only be the direct 1.4miles. For a long commute whilst I would wear work trouser with a very thin breathable pair of overtrousers, unless it was Autumn/ Winter/ Spring, I wear a cycling top and change.

At my current workplace there's conveniently a shower so I find it more comfortable to get more time in bed and cycle in Lycra and shower and change there.