How far would you commute in normal clothes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clf

Back on the bike soon after a couple of years having to drive, thinking of doing it in normal clothes when it's dry enough. Only 6 or 7 miles flat. Not getting changed will save another 20 minutes or so door to desk. Anyone else just wearing normal clothes?

classic33

Leg End Member
Depends on the work you'd be doing when you arrived. You might waste more time than you save.

Used to wear "normal clothes" when I was working outside and cycling to work. Spare set carried for the top half.
Total of 250 miles a weekend.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've done twenty miles each way in normal clothes (SPD shoes don't count). Six or seven should be absolutely fine.

7+2 km (train journey between) in a suit, twice a day. Changed shoes when I got to work.

Only thing was, one day I got caught in a downpour so heavy I realised that I would be no wetter if I fell in the river, so got one of these for those rare occasions.

agu-track-bike-poncho-raincover-red.jpg

Edit: Doh! Kilometres, not miles! Fixed above.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

Julia9054

Guru
My journey is 5 miles. I'll only commute in normal clothes on a training day (I'm a teacher) when i don't have to be dressed smartly.
I often cycle home in normal clothes when i cba to get changed at the end of the day.

Tin Pot

Guru
I’d sweat too much at any distance, can you shower there? I save time by rolling out of bed into my cycling kit, and do the morning routine once I arrive at work.

mustang1

Guru
I've ridden 10 miles in jeans. I find the jeans always get twisted around the crotch area so I have to keep getting off the saddle every few minutes to adjust things. I hate it.

But that's on a race-geo bike. On more upright bikes, the problem is not as bad. But regardless, i dont particulary enjoy riding in jeans.

Joffey

Big Dosser
To the pub, which if I have to go to the cash point is 3 miles. Any further and I get a sweaty arse crack :laugh:

Slick

Guru
I'm much the same as @mustang1. My usual commute is around 25 miles in total, sometimes just a bit more depending on how I'm feeling and exact route. I rarely cycle in civvies but last summer I did cycle the 5 or 6 miles from my hotel to work on the canals in everyday clothes whilst working in Birmingham. I look forward to a hot shower and a change of clothes before starting work, I feel it just sets me up for the day, but a 6 mile easy cycle should be no problem.

The furthest I commute these days is about 4 or 5 miles each way - in civvies. Used to do a 8 or 9 mile each way commute, also in civvies and occasionally with a bit of a detour (taking it up to about 20 miles) on the way home. Once finished work and rode out northwards to friend's then onwards for the social ride to the pub and then onwards to a train station further northwards for the last train home, which totalled a very satisfying 100km - but I did put on some padded 3/4s under my jeans for that one. I do keep an eye on the weather and if lots of rain is looking likely I often stick a spare pair of trews and a clean t-shirt (and a towel to dry off the worst of it) in my pannier.

OP
OP
C

clf

Yeah, cycle kit there, normal clothes back is probably a good way to go, I do remember loving a shower after the ride into work.

rivers

How far can I go?
I only cycle 2-3 miles in normal clothes. But then again, most of my trousers are fairly baggy and tend to get wrapped up in the cranks if I'm not careful. My wife on the other hand, will happily spend all day in normal clothes , circa 30-50 miles. As others have said, what are the facilities like at work? How sweaty do you get, etc?

If you go easy then 6-7 miles is fine. On my office commute I wore some polycotton hiking trousers and changed into my work trousers to save wear and tear and to cope better in damp conditions. You need spare dry socks.

Top Bottom