How fast do you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Average tonight was over 18 mph, but I was pressing on a little owing to having left the house late. Normal average is anywhere between 15 and 18 mph, depending on wind speed/direction and which shift I'm on (going home from nights I'm usually slower).
Hoping that changing to my new Tifosi from my Falcon Explorer will see a speed increase.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
14 (best 15.9) to work and 13(best 14.3) back. Oh for less traffic and lights! :biggrin:

I need to get out more at the weekends but I've found I've just not had time to do a long ride alone recently.

Norm

I'm a slowbie! :biggrin: Average on the road bike is just around 13, the Tricross is about 12 and the MTB is about 11. The only time I've commuted was 21 miles each way across the Chilterns at about 12mph.

Halo, if we meet up for a ride, at those speeds you'd soon be riding alone anyway. :biggrin:

Bandini

About 15-16 mph on my touring bike is a fast-without-exerting-myself-too-much-pace for me- quite a few hills (but no beasts by any means) and it is 20 miles each way. I am looking to up it, and get some weekend big hills in, ready for a sportive in July.

I was quite surprised I was going even that fast. I Don't have a cycle computer (well I got one as a present - but it is on the shelf unopened - I just don't fancy one on my bike for some reason) - used the 'Tracker' app on my phone for the first time last two commutes to work it out.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Anything between 12 - 17 mph on my 30 mile round trip. Depends on mood, weather, wind, traffic, time of year, how knackered I am etc etc

I've just got my first computer and have only used it for one commute so far. I'm doubting that I've got it set up correctly as it told me I was averaging 17mph which didn't seem as quick as last week's club ride which was supposed to be an average of 15mph. Although it was dry this time which I suppose could make a difference to my perception of speed (ie. it feels faster in the wet).
Perhaps I'm a faster rider than I give myself credit for. Now to work on my endurance I suppose.

Downward

Guru
Yearly average is 11.7mph. Highest was 16.3mph Lowest was 6.8mph which was in Feb so one assumes it was snowing. Maybe one day I will get lucky, Clear junctions, Green lights and empty islands ! Until then it'll stay low.

gemsno4

Anywhere between 11-13 mph over 8 mile round trip which on a pashley I don't think is bad.

I don't get over 15 on the flat - partly because I crashed at 22mph on black ice and gave myself concussion which scared me a bit. But I manage to do steep hills only changing 1 gear at a fair pace without getting out of breath and/or sweaty which would rather ruin the Pashley image.

chap

Veteran
Matthames said:
Just wondering how quick everybody is, so what are your average speeds on your commute?

My average is 11mph there and 13mph back, all over 4 miles. The route I use has some pretty big hills which tends to eat my average. Along the flat parts I am usually flying along at about 20mph.

I have only read your response, so somebody may have pointed this out, and whilst I know that you never implied such, I have noticed that almost everyone I talk to about bikes always breaks into a song and dance about how they could go dead fast, or how their bike is better because they can go faster.

I initially did relegate this to probably a more benighted car-drivers approach where amongst their prejudices about cycling, speed was their main (ill-thought) trumph card; however plenty of cyclists also have this approach, which is ridiculous when they are nodding their 2 wheeled knives (or chunky mountain bikes) whilst making snooty side-glances towards my poor Brompton, as if that is the decisive point. One wouldn't compare a Morgan, a Ford transit van, a people carrier, and one of those sporty SMART cars, then declare the SMART car the winner since it goes the fastest, likewise bikes are built for different purposes.

Anyway, that's the end of my rant :sad: For your information, I average 12mph in hilly territory, and 15-17mph (excluding traffic light stops), back in London (Zone 1).

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My long-term average is about 16mph, on a touring bike. I've never had a lightweight roadie, so don't know how I could do on that. My average has suffered the last few weeks, though, as my left Achilles tendon is feeling the effects of this year's riding, so I've been slowing down and pootling.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
If you count rolling average (on a cycle computer, which ignores all stationary time), I am generally above 15 mile/h on my slow route. Dipped just below yesterday, probably due to following a pedestrian through a canal tunnel.

On my fast route, I managed almost 19 mile/h once. Still can't believe it. Probably had a bit of wind behind me, though.

Only 6 miles of riding, though. More of a sprint than a long run.

Top Bottom