How fast do you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
About 13-15 mph outbound, 16-19 mph back home. I'm fortunate to have an almost entirely rural commute so only have four give way junctions in 10 miles (six on the way back).

Managed 20 mph average once on the way back when I went for it.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
16mph 16miles today:smile: up hill out down hill on the way back.

Evilcat

16 mph over 10 mile route on the way in, 14 mph on the way back due to traffic. And I do have a huge number (more than 50) of traffic lights, it being through central London...

EC

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Broke my PB with an average of 18.64mph over 15 1/2 mile course. The first 2/3rd are pancake flat. the last 3rd undulating....First time I've got under 50 mins. Average so far is 16 1/2 and climbing steadily!

Oi Browser, slow down on that Falcon you'll do yourself an injury!

NigC

Very little point looking at my average as when I come home I collect my daughter from school and walk from there to wherever we need to go (every day a different after-school club :biggrin: ).

But I did notice when I put a new computer on the bike a few days ago and rode to work, the average was 14.5mph. The old computer was a pile of crap from Tesco and once I'd ridden for 10 hours all the stats froze :biggrin: It showed 12.7mph as my average for about a year :biggrin:

martint235

Dog on a bike
On my work commute it varies between 15mph average (winter, cold, wet and dark) to 18mph (summer, dry roads and daylight) over a 22 round trip.

At the weekend I get about 19mph on a 35 - 50 mile trip out into Kent (traffic makes all the difference)

My aim is one day, on either route (not fussy), to regist 20mph+ average speed.

M

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
when I first started riding to work, my computer registered 19mph average!!...then, as the amount of miles built up it seems to recalc the average over the total (obvious I suppose) so my average dropped each month by about 1mph. Then it sort of settled at 17 for a bit, now seems to have settled at 15.

I figure by this time in 2012, I'll be going backwards.

Odd tho, my journey always takes the same time regardless of what the computer says is my average mph.

I took the batteries out a few months ago (just put them back in this week tho to try and monitor my speed and keep uit down to allow more days on the bike as i recover...that hasn't worked)

Armegatron

Ive definatly seen an improvement in my speeds since I started last year. I was getting about 10mph before, but now Im cruising at 14-15mph and can give a good sprint of 30mph on roundabouts etc without passing out ;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
My average is over both legs of the commute, as there's a total descent of 1000 feet in, and of course an ascent of 1000 feet home. My average on the way in is about 23mph, and overall (there and back) between 11,5 and 13 mph depending on headwind and traffic.

deccoo

Get between 12 - 16mph over 10 miles between Bounds Green and Waterloo. Did managed a colossal 7mph on the first day back after Xmas when it was -4 degrees and I'm just wearing a thermal jersey!

oliglynn

Über Member
16-17 mph over 7 miles on the flat oxfordshire country roads with little to no stops... 15 if i'm feeling really knackered. This is on my trek 7.3fx hybrid - Hope to improve on this by getting fitter and a proper road bike on c2w this summer ;)

Top Bottom