How fast have you cycled?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's easy.
As long as I can hit termial velocity, in still air a ..........
4-5% hill is +30 mph.
8-10% hill is +40 mph.
16-20% hill is +50 mph.
Max I've hit is only 55.1 mph dropping down Pork Hill off Dartmoor.

mattobrien

Guru
40.9 mph for me, but then I live in Suffolk and we don't have hills here.

jjc89

Über Member
46.3mph downhill a few weeks ago, fastest is just under 50mph. So exhilarating just boosting it down a hill full pelt! Whoever said there is something inherent inside men for cycling down hills was correct!

Peowpeowpeowlasers

Coming down off Belmont (over near Bolton) did over 45mile an hour with wind slowing me down. Awesome as the road was shut due to Iron Man competition so I had the whole road to myself!!!! What a buzz it was!!!!

Which direction? I did west to east over Rivington Road last week and could only manage about 37ish.

Leaving Rivington Barn tea rooms (very nice!!!) up over the hill and down coming into Belmont I was flying down there. Sunday the weather was fantastic and it so helped having the road shut as no way I could get up the same speed otherwise.

I then from Belmot towards Abbey Village the run down there was good as well.

42 mph is my highest. Nice straight piece of newly tarmaced road in the Dromara hills near Katesbridge. No side roads or entrances for tractors to appear from!

Could have gone faster if I had have pedaled but that was scary enough.

My youngest (13) hit 35mph today on a long descent in the Malverns. I think it's the fastest he's gone.

I was behind him and trying to look calm. It's normally a 40-45mph descent, but he is yet young.

After the ride I asked him if he knew how fast he was going:

"Yeah, but I was stuck in a short gear. Every time I moved my right thumb, I thought a wobble started. I was freewheeling. That's as fast as I could go in that gear."

I'm going to have to watch that boy. :sad:

Eddie

Strava is saying I got up to 73mph today. Not sure about that, but I hit 50mph.

I went past a speed camera at the bottom of a massive hill in a 30 zone the other day. I am resisting the strong temptation to go and set it off at the moment :smile:

Top Bottom