How fast have you cycled?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thojj

Regular
64 kph 1st time down A249 on a bike, 6:00 a.m.,terrified my self and couldn't stop until I was through the other side of Berstead,I was so full of adrenalin.
On phoning the wife she shared some kind words in my moment of celebration....
"You b****y idiot,your 53 not 23 "

subaqua

What’s the point
i have had the comp showing 99. but that was on a tube and the magnetic fields generated are rather large.

Nebulous

Guru
47.6mph down the String Road in Arran and I'm a descending wuss, I'm sure other folk could hit 60mph there. I prefer a shallower downhill gradient that I can pedal through and sprint without feeling like I'm out of control; something like this, where I averaged just over 30mph and hit a max of 36.8mph.

You're not that much of a wuss. I thought I did okay on the Etape Caledonia Schiehallion descent last year, and from memory you're ahead of me. This year my descent was well down because of the wind. I also like less steep powered descents. This one's over 3 miles. I set it up, and am leading at the moment. Fractionally short of a 30 mph average though.

You're not that much of a wuss. I thought I did okay on the Etape Caledonia Schiehallion descent last year, and from memory you're ahead of me. This year my descent was well down because of the wind. I also like less steep powered descents. This one's over 3 miles. I set it up, and am leading at the moment. Fractionally short of a 30 mph average though.
From first glance of that, there's no way I'd average near 30mph; I might hit 35mph at the start then complete stop in the middle and get up to around 32mph at the end

Nebulous

Guru
From first glance of that, there's no way I'd average near 30mph; I might hit 35mph at the start then complete stop in the middle and get up to around 32mph at the end

Oh I think you would outperform anything I can - though I would assume I have an advantage downhill! None of my good times / placings are big climbs. That route is quite exposed. The time I set it there was very little wind, I've done it much slower with a headwind. I think it would be there for the taking with a decent tailwind.

Ethan

57mph. Scared the living shoot out of me. I don't think I'd do that again. The idea of a blow out is just to much at that sort of speed!

On the flat just shy of 40 (drafting a very good rider AND a wind behind me.)
Both are GPS too - so shouldn't be to far off.
I hit 40mph pretty regularly though, its hard not too in north Wales.

HovR

Über Member
45 down the old Birdlip hill road. I attempted to hit 50 today, but things seemed to be against me. For starters my road bike was out of action, so I had to take the slicked up mountain bike.. And then my GPS decided not record my speed like I'd asked it to, so no idea what speed I hit.

Oh well, another day maybe!

Ethan

Along the road from Bleanau Festiniog? If so then I know where abouts you mean.

If we're all thinking of the same place, thats where I almost hit 60!
Small world heh?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I rode down the hill where i did my maximum speed yesterday. The wind was kind of behind me to the side of me so i thought i'd see if i could reach 45mph or thereabouts. I was up to 42 when i saw some granite type rocks about the size of golfballs ahead of me so i touched the brake, then a car came round the slight bend. I was glad i saw sense and braked, if i'd have gone over one of those rocks, then slid into the path of the car!!!:unsure:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I hit 50 down a hill towards Filey on Saturday. How do I know? A motorbike pulled up alongside, he pointed at his speedo, stuck 5 fingers up, then gave me a thumbs up before riding off. I waved back.

Top speed's been about 53 - coming down off Holme Moss.

44 indicated mph on my Cateye Strada down the East side of Hartside doing the C2C with a fully-loaded i.e. panniers unzipped out and full also, Topeak trunk bag on the back.Suffice to say that felt a bit quick!

Top Bottom