How fast have you cycled?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I love reading these kinds of threads, people are usually serious about cycling, fitness training, rules of the road etc but give us a big hill and we turn into children.. weeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :biggrin: Is this just a man thing?

All men have a repressed inner child bought on by getting kids themselves, partners and the perception of being responsible at work.

I also defy any man to not get excited about tractors and steam traction engines/trains!

Also the default age for said inner child is about 8 years old!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
34 mph on a 17 kilo MTB of dubious mechanical integrity, on a steep hill in BC , Canada. I'm a bit of a coward.

At the end of a ride to Brighton, I mentioned my fear of coming off at speed downhill to a fellow rider. I loved his take on the matter..." Above a certain speed, the consequences are pretty much the same.." Thank you 'Teef ^_^

AndyRM

XOXO
I was thinking that at first. But, I reckon because he is slipstreaming the guy behind is obviously going quicker so if he pushes the guy in front they can yet go quicker again, thus catching to the guys ahead.

Sounds viable in my head anyway.

I think it's more a courtesy than a speed thing as they are at the front anyway. Just a wee nudge to let the guy know he's there and to keep holding his line.

BrazingSaddles

Über Member
On Shirley, my Surley tourer, during a three month cycle-camping tour of Europe. Heavy panniers + a clear, straight descent = me going "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" very fast!!

Attachments

• Eurotour2010 190.jpg
    Eurotour2010 190.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 36
53.1mph on a main Dual Carriageway. recorded on Shimano flightdeck comp. Most my iphone app has showed is 50.75mph this year

Had a guy shouting at me that I had been doing over 55mph. He seemed impressed ^_^ but I think a car speedo has greater inaccuracies built in.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Although I have no way of checking because I don't have a comp' fitted on my bike I reckon by the wind resistance I was experiencing and the amount of shake I was getting and by how fast everything was whizzing by that I must have been going at least 200 mph. God knows how fast the little old lady on the Raleigh Shopper who sailed past me must have been going.:eek:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Had a guy shouting at me that I had been doing over 55mph. He seemed impressed ^_^ but I think a car speedo has greater inaccuracies built in.
Car speedo's are normally about 5-10% more than what you are actually doing. Same as speed cameras, they will only pick you up if you are doing over 32/33mph or 43/44mph.

Top Bottom