How Flat is the Earth ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps the flat Earthers could explain away the Foucault Pendulum Experiment?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Radio 5 covered this earlier with an interview with the president of the Flat Earth Society, which I was amazed to find out really exists. Apparently the space missions were all a hoax and the Russians and US have colluded since about 1960 to keep the secret that the earth really is flat. Also, NASA have people guarding the 'edge of the world' to make sure no one ever finds out about it's flatness. Well you live and learn :wacko:!

Yep, NASA has installed signs at the edge to warn the unwary.
fall hazard sign.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Perhaps the flat Earthers could explain away the Foucault Pendulum Experiment?

Someone on the other place was arguing it was random movement from when you let it go. I didn't quite follow how they all randomly gave it the same amount of spin - maybe that was the conspiracy bit.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, I see. It randomly correlates with the Earths rotation, randomly changing exactly with latitude.

Are these people for real?

green1

Über Member
I think we should organise a cycle ride to the edge.

The first task is to find the centre of the world , then we can work out where the edge is
I'd take a guess that it must be somewhere in the Bible belt of the USA, which means as China is as far as you can get from the USA, the edge of the world must be close to Hong Kong ,

Or has someone got a better idea ?
Every Yorkshireman I've ever spoken to has assured me that the centre of the universe lies within the county.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I actually heard this the other day from a customer, or similar anyway. He told me ("and let me give you a bit of education young man" he said), the Earth is 44300 years old. We know this because God created the Earth in six days and he rested on the seventh. A day to God is 7000 years - we know that, it says so in the Bible, the Koran, everywhere - so it took him 42000 of our years and he's still resting. It's all there "

I was just utterly flabbergasted and a bit flummoxed.

I reckon he'd misheard someone refering to his 12 year old labrador "being 70 in dog years" then got muddled on the conversion factor

Top Bottom