How Flat is the Earth ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
Others believe that the Universe is 4000 years old. Some people just can't be helped.
This is clearly nonsense. The bible indicates that the earth and the heavens are about 6000 years old.

4000 years? Ptah!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
So when a ship sails away and the hull disappears before the top parts, it's actually sinking? Then unsinks as it gets close to its destination.

Makes sense....

winjim

Smash the cistern
Wasn't there a geezer who worked out the diameter of the Earth by observing sunlight shining down well shafts spaced miles apart? That was more than a couple of thousand years ago. Eratosthenes (276 BC – 195 BC).
That's old technology. The flatness was proven earlier this year by an idiot on an aeroplane with a spirit level.

Tin Pot

Guru
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/41973119/why-do-people-still-think-the-earth-is-flat

Worth a look, but I've ridden a bike across the South Downs! The world is defiantly not flat!

Well, it stands to reason.

...but not to science.

U

User32269

Some on this thread are just cynics with closed minds.
What is needed is cold hard science. I've conducted an experiment under VERY scientific conditions, and let's see the results.
DSC_1003.JPG
I attempted to balance a small spherical object on top of a larger sphere. The result?
DSC_1004.JPG
It rolled off.
Then, ingeniously, I scaled-up the experiment. I balanced a much larger spherical object (a footy) on top of another supposedly spherical object (The Earth) and left it overnight. The result?
DSC_1005.JPG
It's not rolled anywhere.
People of cycle chat, conclusive SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN FACT, the earth is flat.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Sir Patrick Moore originally joined the Flat Earth Society as he thought it was a bit of tomfoolery, which appealed to his sense of humour. Apparently he soon left when he realised they were serious!

I did recal he joined, but I too also assumed it was a bit of nonsense, and an excuse for larking about and no doubt-drinking beer

classic33

Leg End Member
So when a ship sails away and the hull disappears before the top parts, it's actually sinking? Then unsinks as it gets close to its destination.

Makes sense....
Taking on water, which it then has to pump out to reach shallower waters at its destination!

Top Bottom