How hots is too hot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
Just wondering what temperature you guys preform best at, seeing as the suns out! working at roughly 60-80%, for me it's the following:

-5 - 0deg just a ride to get from A to B
0 - 10deg or lower my legs take an age to warm up so never break any pb's
10-20deg i'm in 3/4's and feel fine with no over heating (my personal optimal temp)
20-25deg I start to feel uncomfortable although I do still break some pb's
25+ Just too hot!

Just seeing how you guys feel and what's your favourite working temperature?

You missed -15 to -6, spoke-breakingly cold but exhilarating

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like 20 degrees in the UK, but I used to like 25 degrees in the Spanish Spring, once I'd had a few days to get used to it.

As I get slimmer, my tolerance for higher temperatures improves but lower temperatures become more of a problem, for obvious reasons.

I don't like hot and humid conditions one little bit!

Brandane

Legendary Member
There are many strange things that I believe, but that's really stretching it!

You sure it wasn't 32 degrees Fahrenheit?

Says someone from Newcastle! :laugh:
Isn't that the temperature at which you guys have to take your shirts off to avoid overheating? :thumbsup:

Last August I was cycling the Loire Valley route in temperatures peaking in the high 30sC, on a bike loaded with 4 panniers. That was slightly too hot, even for one from the palm fringed west coast of Scotland. Comfort zone for me is between 10 and 20c. But then, I'm not a speed freak, more of a distance plodder.

compo

Veteran
I used to like the heat but as I get older I find it harder to cope with. No surrender though, I go out whatever the temperature. I just slow down and drink plenty.

Octet

Veteran
I am terrible in the hot weather, it's been about 20 DegC here, and I'm finding it just too hot to go out on the bicycle.
I would much rather the cold, that's for sure!

Feastie

Über Member
Anything over about 15-16 degrees = overheating!

When it's getting 22+ degrees in the day you won't catch me out cycling/running/anything. I much prefer to exercise in the evening as it's cooling off. Also if you're lucky you might be out during that perfect moment when suddenly the temperature drops and everything around you starts smelling completely glorious. That is, if you're lucky enough to be outside London where everything around you smells like cigarette smoke and fumes regardless. I find it easiest to exercise between about 10-15 degrees.

gbb

Legendary Member
I did a fast 40 miler a few years ago when it was circa 30C. The Tarmac was melting..sounded odd as I rode over stretches of it. I sweated so much I struggled to get my gear off when I got home..stuck to me like glue. Coped quite well with those temps. Wouldn't fancy it now, I was far more driven then.

Top Bottom