How hots is too hot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I usually stop at about 36c, it's often humid around here as well in summer. Then I'll schedule to go out earlier next time, barring changes in the weather pattern

vickster

Legendary Member
I rode 54 miles today, something like 25-30deg in SW London - thankfully there was quite a strong cooling breeze. Very hot now though!

That said I'd rather ride in this than sub zero - I lose interest in outdoor cycling below 3-5deg! :cold:

ankaradan

Up to 30C is ok, especially as its a very dry heat here, but when the temp gets above 35C, its time to hide in the shade.

Skipper

Did a steady 56 miles on Saturday afternoon (prob 30 degrees), and felt really good until the final 6. Then my thighs started to cramp up real bad as soon as I tried to put the pedal down. I had drunk loads, or so I thought, but obviously not enough. Had to nurse my way home at a canter, instead of caning it. When I got home, I drank loads more, but couldn't pee for ages, and even then it was distinctly yellow! Sorry guys, but I love the sun, but that was just toooooooo warm! And I got a little red on the back of my neck to boot!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
On my ride today the bike computer read 100.2 f that 37.8c in the new money that can't be right it was very hot what ever the temperature was.
It was probably correct. These temperatures being talked about are usually taken from weather forcasts which give all readings in the shade. If it says it's going to be 25 degrees then it could well really be about 40 in direct sunlight. The thermometer in our yard was reading 45 degrees today because it was in the sunlight for a few hours.
The thing is that in this country we are usually in the shade all the time because of our ever present monochrome grey sky so there is no differential between shade and direct sun becuase ther is never direct sun.
Anything over 20 degrees for me is the limit whether in the sun or the shade. I may well have to move to a Scandanavian country.

As suggested, it's never to hot to ride. Sometimes though it's too hot to ride well. I find my performance begins to tail off as temps climb above around 85f.

I have an mtb race coming up next month, 70 miles in +90f weather. No plans on winning or even placing, just a hope on finishing.

Steve Saunders

I went out on Sunday for what I'd planned to be a 50-60 mile ride - getting back in time to watch the Wimbledon Mens Final. It was a nice day, with light winds, so I decided to extend it a bit. As I was only about 15 miles from Glenshee I decided to head up to the Ski Centre (1.7 miles avg 8.8% - finishing with about 0.5 miles of 12%). That was the only point that the heat really got me as I was sheltered from the wind by the mountains on either side and was directly in the sun. Only going about 9mph so not fast enough to get a cooling breeze.

The rest of the ride was fine and the Garmin was registering 24-29c the whole way round. Went through quite a lot of water though 4 x 750ml bottles and 2 x 500ml bottles ... 4 gels, fruit pastilles, wine gums, 2 energy drink sachets and 2 nectar hydration tabs.

Didn't push it as hard as I normally would, and felt like I was coping with the temperature and could have done another 20-30 miles without any problem - although I was down to my last few sips of water in the bottles so called it a day.

http://app.strava.com/activities/65396942

Annoyed with the garmin though. It rounded up the miles on the display to 110 miles to I thought I'd set a new distance PB, only to find out I was actually 0,4 miles sort - it said 110 miles when I'd only done 109.52 ... spoilt it a bit.

Top Bottom