How I hate hot weather!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Finshed my shift at 22:30 and appeared to have lost 2.5lb's in weight, despite drinking quite a bit of water, drenched in sweat for 8 hours. I love this hot weather though & can't get enough of it, zipping back home on the motorbike in t-shirt & shorts cooled me down and now some cold Scrumpy Jacks are going down very well.

I love hot weather! Born in NE England but grew up in Durban, South Africa.
Struggled with the UK weather for the years I lived there from 1999 - 2017 and saw it as something ro endure before moving back to a warm country.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed what UK Summer there was and love the place but not to live in long term.

Been here in Portugal for 3 years, ideal climate for me. Of course, the houses are better suited to warmer weather with aircon, pool etc.

Cycling here is great, hot days welcome.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ride in the morning and evening and just avoid that 10am - 5pm heat.....

Suncream and something on my bald head helps:laugh:
I've been going out after 7 pm. I burn easily but by that time in the evening I can get away without sun protection and temperatures are more manageable. Bloody muggy in this room now though - nearly 01:00 and it is still 26 deg C in here. That is 7-8 degrees warmer than I heat it to in the winter!

MntnMan62

Ɯber Member
It's too hot to cycle, I can't sleep, the windows are all open and the neighbours on one side are out partying, with the crowd on the other side due to arrive as usual about 7.30 to use the garden for tiring the kids out before bed. The kitchen faces west and even with the blinds down the temperature is 32.3c in there. I get paid good money to travel to hot countries and sit in air-conditioned hotels drinking cold beer and you are seldom outside for more than the time it takes to walk from car to office or hotel so it doesn't matter.

Maybe it's because I'm a fair-skinned Celt. Does anybody hate hot weather more than I do? Thank God rain is forecast for tomorrow and the weekend; it will keep everybody indoors.

I feel your pain. When I grew up back in the 1970s my parents did not make much money. My father was an engineer working for an aerospace company but he was pretty low on the totem pole. My mother was a nursery school teacher. And I had two brothers. So money was not plentiful. Solid middle class. We did not have central air conditioning (not even sure it existed) and had three window air conditioners in the house. One was in the living room, a small one in the kitchen and one in my parents bedroom. Me and my two brothers did not have air conditioning. We lived on Long Island which is a swath lf land extending East from New York City. We lived more in the center of the island away from any water. So summers were hot and humid. I remember laying in bed soaking in my own sweat and cursing my parents for not springing for air conditioners for us. And like you, during my working years I have done a fair amount of traveling all over the US as well as overseas. I traveled comfortably and stayed in some very nice hotels . But here's the thing. You said, and I quote, "I get paid good money to travel..........". Spend some of that money and buy yourself a window air conditioner unit at least for your bedroom and if you can afford it, another one for your living room. You will sleep SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. All I hear people doing now in my town is complaining about the fireworks going off at all hours of the night into the wee hours of the morning. With the air conditioner going and the windows closed, I hear absolutey nothing. Your quality of life will rise exponentially with even just one air conditioner. Two will be like you've landed in heaven. Do it.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I feel your pain. When I grew up back in the 1970s my parents did not make much money. My father was an engineer working for an aerospace company but he was pretty low on the totem pole. My mother was a nursery school teacher. And I had two brothers. So money was not plentiful. Solid middle class. We did not have central air conditioning (not even sure it existed) and had three window air conditioners in the house. One was in the living room, a small one in the kitchen and one in my parents bedroom. Me and my two brothers did not have air conditioning. We lived on Long Island which is a swath lf land extending East from New York City. We lived more in the center of the island away from any water. So summers were hot and humid. I remember laying in bed soaking in my own sweat and cursing my parents for not springing for air conditioners for us. And like you, during my working years I have done a fair amount of traveling all over the US as well as overseas. I traveled comfortably and stayed in some very nice hotels . But here's the thing. You said, and I quote, "I get paid good money to travel..........". Spend some of that money and buy yourself a window air conditioner unit at least for your bedroom and if you can afford it, another one for your living room. You will sleep SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. All I hear people doing now in my town is complaining about the fireworks going off at all hours of the night into the wee hours of the morning. With the air conditioner going and the windows closed, I hear absolutey nothing. Your quality of life will rise exponentially with even just one air conditioner. Two will be like you've landed in heaven. Do it.
Window ACs are almost unheard-of in the UK but a few rich folk have split ACs. The problem is that you would only use it on a handful of days a year and the rest of the time it sits idle while we spend lots of money heating our houses. I would love one upstairs on the landing just to cool and dry the whole house and with our standards of insulation I'm sure it would work well too.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
If every day was like the past couple of days, I would be a happy bunny. :okay:

Me too.

screenman

Legendary Member
Iā€™d like it much more if I didnā€™t have to work ;)

Iā€™m hoping to take a week or two off in August, weather had better be like this!

I did curse my idiot neighbour for jet washing his car at 6.45am. Wtf, pollock

I come from the other direction on that last bit, having to wait until well into my day before doing much outside is annoying, we are well detached but noise travels and I do try and be considerate to people that do not wake up like myself.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I've never been a fan.

I have a new hate, wearing a mask at work in a very hot building, skin on my face peeling from the constantly being wet and humid..

Drago

Legendary Member
I sleep in a water bed. In the winter its heated, in the summer the heater naturally gets switched off and it becomes deliciously cool. I also have a big ceiling fan over the bed, which makes drifting off to sleep much like piloting a B29 silverplate conversion.

Top Bottom