How I hate hot weather!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m probably the one to complain most about the heat having to endure it for most of the year. We’re entering the rainy season now so it’s quite a bit cooler but still 23/28 c today. Having AC switched on the bedroom certainly helps when it’s very hot but it leaves you with a dry throat if you leave it all night.

oldkit

Regular
I love the heat, I was really miffed at missing out and only getting two short rides in during the hot weather.
I usually wait until about 13.00 then venture out. I really love it when the heat is coming back at you from the road and you can smell the hot tar, perhaps it thins my blood,but the hotter it gets the happier I am, although I will admit to only being partially covered in bed last night due it being a bit warm.:blush:

Drago

Legendary Member
Due to warm/scorching weather my 'grumpy old gitness' level went through the roof yesterday.
Phoned the housing association and reported 3 different neighbours for blaring their music out at excessive volumes.
Rain keeps the feckers indoors but soon as the sun comes out its like living next to a bunch of nightclubs.
All my neighbours are elderl and manage to refrain from playing their Glenn Miller 78s too loud.

Not a big fan but the veg is;-
IMG_20200625_085015_8.jpg

IMG_20200618_165913_8.jpg

IMG_20200608_211441_8.jpg

Very happy

Sooooo hot but got to go out in the garden
Plants don't grow themselves, not until you plant the seeds. I don't find it so bad when I am cycling. I find the best way to Keep cool when cycling is to put the least effort in possible and stop constantly to walk the dog in nice cool woods. I have to bring lots of water for the dog as she wears a fur coat

MntnMan62

Über Member
Window ACs are almost unheard-of in the UK but a few rich folk have split ACs. The problem is that you would only use it on a handful of days a year and the rest of the time it sits idle while we spend lots of money heating our houses. I would love one upstairs on the landing just to cool and dry the whole house and with our standards of insulation I'm sure it would work well too.

I wasn't aware of that. I'm in the Northeast of the US. New Jersey. So we really only use the air conditioners from about June until mid September. Only 3 or 4 months. I actually install them and then remove them each season. 5 of them in total for the entire house. It's a pain but worth it. It's not just the termperatures but also the humidity that creates the discomfort. My house also has a large whole-house-fan in the attic which we use when it's cool enough but still too warm to have nothing. I gather where you are the weather is more mild than we have in the Northeast or similar?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, right now we are having some hot days where the temperature is around 28-33c but they are rare. Britain is a small island surrounded by ocean so our climate is definitely maritime, not continental like yours and the northern European cold is strongly moderated by the Gulf Stream.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My back garden is a sun trap, always a few degrees hotter than the surrounding area. Put an outdoors thermometer up recently and yesterday's high was 36C! :sweat:

It took a few cold beers to cool me down after strenuously planting some pots we have been meaning to fill for a while.... :cheers:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You try farming in it.

I like the sunshine, as much as anyone who lives on the western seaboard, of our usually fairly damp island.

But, right now Im running around switching irrigation between this that's and the other.

All of it wants water now please, luckily we have a borehole.

Chickens water needs replenishing three times a day.

Harvesting of anything prone to wilting, has to be done extra early before it accumulates field heat, or it perishes very quickly

I can't do any heavy manual work outside for at least four hours around midday - it's way too hot,

But I'm lucky, I live in a country with social security, my mortgage payments are manageable, I have savings, a good support network, and an alternative income stream, if any of my crops fail I don't starve, nor do my dependants.

Spare a thought for those living in truly drought prone areas, with no safety net in the lean times.

And extreme weather events caused by climate change, are only going to make things worse, if we don't get our act together - now..

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes, right now we are having some hot days where the temperature is around 28-33c but they are rare. Britain is a small island surrounded by ocean so our climate is definitely maritime, not continental like yours and the northern European cold is strongly moderated by the Gulf Stream.

Until the gulf stream gets diverted..

MntnMan62

Über Member
I am hoping for wolves running amok in NYC

Hey now. I have a lot of friends in NYC. Not everyone is an imbecile. And NYC is solidly blue and will overwhelming reject drumpf just like they did the first time around.

I should add that I am only 30 minutes outside of Manhattan. We have lots of wildlife here. Lots of the usual raccoons, rabbits, squirells, chipmunks, deer. But we have lots of red fox and there has been a recent infux of coyotes as well. I've heard them and their cackling very early in the morning. It seems a mother has her brood stashed nearby in a golf course and when she feeds the little ones, they make a ton of noise. People have snapped some pictures of fully mature ones as well. They are definitely not small. So we have to keep an eye on our smaller pets. And last week a bear was seen roaming about and was caught on people's Ring camera devices. Fortunately no one has seen wolves yet. I guess if we did see one here, at night, it would be The British Werewolf in Manhattan?

Last edited:
Top Bottom