How I hate hot weather!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I am hoping for wolves running amok in NYC

I'm not sure about the 'amok' bit, but it's one of my dreams to hike in mountains where there are wolves, and to hear them howl at night.

I think that's going to have to be the Scandilands or Eastern Europe somewhere, although I think there may be a few in Northern Italy too.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm not sure about the 'amok' bit, but it's one of my dreams to hike in mountains where there are wolves, and to hear them howl at night.

I think that's going to have to be the Scandilands or Eastern Europe somewhere, although I think there may be a few in Northern Italy too.
Talk of re-introducing them to Scotland. :hyper:

I had my own 'Wolf' for 10 years.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Hey now. I have a lot of friends in NYC. Not everyone is an imbecile. And NYC is solidly blue and will overwhelming reject drumpf just like they did the first time around.
I have got nothing but love for New Yorkers, it was just my favourite bit of that documentary about the Gulf Stream:laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Talk of re-introducing them to Scotland. :hyper:

I had my own 'Wolf' for 10 years.

View attachment 532572

View attachment 532573

Hello dawgy :okay:

RIP good friend to @raleighnut if you have in fact crossed the Rainbow Bridge, as some do say..

Yes I hear same, tbh I'm not sure how practical it is unless we clear out all the livestock farmers, and deer stalking (no loss).

Until they get the bottom end of the food chain, and decent amounts of reforestation established I don't see rewolving as being ecologically practical..

Unless they have massive fenced 'game parks' with the whole food chain introduced to support the apex species .

That's not going to happen too much conflict if interest with other users, and ethics of fences - which don't allow prey species to escape.

I think we'll have to settle for wildcats, and beavers for the foreseeable.

But yes more regenerated treecover, integrated with some trad agricultural practices, too ..

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I have got nothing but love for New Yorkers, it was just my favourite bit of that documentary about the Gulf Stream:laugh:

One thing I never understood in that 'documentary'

They did the whole 'transgressive' burning of books in the library thing.

When there was plenty of solid wood furniture, right there, which they could have broken up, to keep the chill out far more effectively.

It's always a bit of a problem for us 'practical sorts' when stuff like that happens -

- it's hard to 'suspend disbelief' when you're shouting at the screen

"Burn the sodding chairs instead, they'll keep you much warmer" :wacko:

MntnMan62

Über Member
One thing I never understood in that 'documentary'

They did the whole 'transgressive' burning of books in the library thing.

When there was plenty of solid wood furniture, right there, which they could have broken up, to keep the chill out far more effectively.

It's always a bit of a problem for us 'practical sorts' when stuff like that happens -

- it's hard to 'suspend disbelief' when you're shouting at the screen

"Burn the sodding chairs instead, they'll keep you much warmer" :wacko:

They must have stolen that from the movie The Day After Tomorrow. I think they burned books in NY's Public Library on Fifth Avenue. They may have burned furniture too. It's been a while since I've seen it.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
For curious, ever increasing salinity in the Mediterranean Sea will most likely have an increasing impact on the water circulation in North Atlantic. So called salt fingers (literally blobs of warm, heavy, salty water) getting out of Gibraltar Strait are changing composition of deep water in Atlantic (important for all fishermen as it is the cold waters that are way more productive for fisheries)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
They must have stolen that from the movie The Day After Tomorrow. I think they burned books in NY's Public Library on Fifth Avenue. They may have burned furniture too. It's been a while since I've seen it.

Or I may possibly be getting my popular entertainment motifs muddled..

It wouldn't be the first time, by any means..

And just for the record.

I haven't got a telly.. ^_^

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
For curious, ever increasing salinity in the Mediterranean Sea will most likely have an increasing impact on the water circulation in North Atlantic. So called salt fingers (literally blobs of warm, heavy, salty water) getting out of Gibraltar Strait are changing composition of deep water in Atlantic (important for all fishermen as it is the cold waters that are way more productive for fisheries)

Indeed, the ocean is a big part of the story.

Us 'good farmers' can do our best to suck up as much carbon as poss, but there's all the stuff like sea grass and mud banks that help too..

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hello dawgy :okay:

RIP good friend to @raleighnut if you have in fact crossed the Rainbow Bridge, as some do say..

Yes I hear same, tbh I'm not sure how practical it is unless we clear out all the livestock farmers, and deer stalking (no loss).

Until they get the bottom end of the food chain, and decent amounts of reforestation established I don't see rewolving as being ecologically practical..

Unless they have massive fenced 'game parks' with the whole food chain introduced to support the apex species .

That's not going to happen too much conflict if interest with other users, and ethics of fences - which don't allow prey species to escape.

I think we'll have to settle for wildcats, and beavers for the foreseeable.

But yes more regenerated treecover, integrated with some trad agricultural practices, too ..
Aye my Sabor has been gone for 9yrs now, best 'woolef' ever, he was great with kids (maz has 6 grand daughters) fine with our moggies (they used to bully him) and never put his teeth to anyone other than me (he used to 'mouth' me a lot when playing often at his instigation)
We used to go Camping together, sometimes with Maz too (she took that photo of us in Lathkill Dale) and off to Festivals whether one dayers or whole weekends as he was such a social lad. He always wore a Bandana round his neck when it was warm so I could soak it in water to keep him cool in the sun but he really loved the snow.

I could go on for yonks about what a great character he was and I still miss him :sad:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Aye my Sabor has been gone for 9yrs now, best 'woolef' ever, he was great with kids (maz has 6 grand daughters) fine with our moggies (they used to bully him) and never put his teeth to anyone other than me (he used to 'mouth' me a lot when playing often at his instigation)
We used to go Camping together, sometimes with Maz too (she took that photo of us in Lathkill Dale) and off to Festivals whether one dayers or whole weekends as he was such a social lad. He always wore a Bandana round his neck when it was warm so I could soak it in water to keep him cool in the sun but he really loved the snow.

I could go on for yonks about what a great character he was and I still miss him :sad:

Awww..

Love are the wages, that we get paid for death.:sad::smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm just glad I had him in my life, maybe he's for me waiting in the next along with the beautiful moggies I've been lucky enough to enrich my time .

Yup that's about all we can do really, be glad they existed, and enriched our lives.

Doesn't make the loss any harder to bear though.

I find the expression.

"Grief is love, with nowhere to go"

Quite useful.

I guess with dogs / horses / cats / bikes??etc, after a decent interval you can get a replacement to direct the love towards..

Significant people are a different order of things though..

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I guess with dogs / horses / cats / bikes??etc, after a decent interval you can get a replacement to direct the love towards
I'd have had another Dog in a heartbeat but Maz wouldn't hear of it, "We'll never have another like him" she said but he was a product of me bringing a Puppy on, not bragging but give me a Pup and I'd teach him. Sabor had been returned to the breeder as he was 'destructive' and pooped everywhere, we got him at 16 weeks and I worked really hard. At the time I was working odd nights and weekends for an agency so I had the time to spend with him during the day I used to 'toilet' him every couple of hours and gave him proper bones for the chewing that Pups need to do. You can't have a Dog and expect it to wait for 8-10 hours a day for you to come home they're not a toy or an accessory to your life they're a part of your family and should be treated as such, after all you wouldn't stick a Child in a cage whilst you went out.

Anyway enough of a 'thread divert' it's still too feckin hot, where's these thunderstorms we were promised.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, right now we are having some hot days where the temperature is around 28-33c but they are rare. Britain is a small island surrounded by ocean so our climate is definitely maritime, not continental like yours and the northern European cold is strongly moderated by the Gulf Stream.
Although the North Atlantic Drift is faltering as the salinity is being affected by melting ice cap and the warm water forced to greater depth, and is already misbehaving a bit. If it gets much worse we'll suddenly be remembering from September through to April just how far north our little islands really are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom