How irritating.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hate it when manufacturers mess around with critical components dimensions, when the change / upgrade bits. I encountered a doozy yesterday. I bought some 25mm Tannus tyres to replace the 28mm ones, I fitted to one of my bikes last year. I removed the old ones, using the Allen key and fitting tool technique.

A67E831D-2003-4D27-A97B-B256FB3B3C5B.jpeg

Job’s a good’un so far.

Then I fitted the new ones onto the rim.

0F086B76-6477-4D9F-875A-83539453CD3F.jpeg

This took a bit more swearing, but they are designed to be tight for a good reason, but job’s a good’un again.

Then I went to push the fixing pins into the clincher hooks. Bugger, they won’t go, no matter how much swearing and ‘hitting with a hammer’ was employed. So, I checked the sizing of the new tyres, against the old ones. Old ones: 622x28mm. New ones 622x25mm. Okay, all good. A bit more swearing and hammer hitting failed to get the new pins located. So I checked the size of the strip on the tyres that sits in the rim and is peculiar / critical to / with these tyres. ( inner rim width ). Wheels: 16mm. Old 28mm tyres : 15mm. New 25mm tyres : 16mm. That explains it then :angry:. To be fair, the fitting chart on the Tannus website does mention it, and the updated 2017 Mavic Aksiums do have a 17mm inner rim width, but the ones I was using, are 16mm width. So I shall transfer the new 25mm tyres to the bike with the 2017 Mavic Aksiums on it. I’d better get my hammer back out:laugh:.

AndyRM

XOXO
Personally, I'd send them back and buy some proper tyres.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Don't know how your joints will thank you in a few years for not fixing the odd puncture: I was glad to throw mine in the back of the shed. Of course you didn't want a tirade of Tannus haters at your door, guffawing - you wanted sympathy. Oh well. At least you could do it all in your warm shed, while us poor pneumatic peasants have to fumble at the roadside for all of three minutes.

BSOh

Über Member
I've just fitted a set of 32mm to my wheels, I wanted 28 but was restricted by rim width too.

Read horror stories of fitting them, how you need a spare 3 hours and the strength of a bear. Being only 8 stone soaking wet I priced up a fitting with the LBS. But when they turned up I had a go. Both done within an hour. Hybrid not built up yet, but hoping to try them out this week. I'm looking forward to stress free miles.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Don't know how your joints will thank you in a few years for not fixing the odd puncture: I was glad to throw mine in the back of the shed. Of course you didn't want a tirade of Tannus haters at your door, guffawing - you wanted sympathy. Oh well. At least you could do it all in your warm shed, while us poor pneumatic peasants have to fumble at the roadside for all of three minutes.
All those three minutes add up. I laugh my nuts off as I pass all the idiots with punctures, especially when it’s cold and dark and wet, oh hang on, only proper cyclists ride in those conditions, as you were.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I've just fitted a set of 32mm to my wheels, I wanted 28 but was restricted by rim width too.

Read horror stories of fitting them, how you need a spare 3 hours and the strength of a bear. Being only 8 stone soaking wet I priced up a fitting with the LBS. But when they turned up I had a go. Both done within an hour. Hybrid not built up yet, but hoping to try them out this week. I'm looking forward to stress free miles.
They are brilliant, when you get used to the fitting technique ( standing with your legs as far apart as you can, then pushing the tyre over the rim with some effort ) it’s well worth it. Getting them off again isn’t as difficult as some people would have you believe either.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
All those three minutes add up.
Yes, the time spent patching punctures adds up to less than the time you're losing from the 8% increase in rolling resistance plus the extra time worked to pay for the Tannus over competitors. Tannus seem a big step forwards from the solid tyres on the likes of ofo (which can only dream about 8%) but they're still not as good as pneumatic tyres.

davidphilips

Veteran
All those three minutes add up. I laugh my nuts off as I pass all the idiots with punctures, especially when it’s cold and dark and wet, oh hang on, only proper cyclists ride in those conditions, as you were.

LOL, When cycling last week i got so cold i thought if i get a puncture theres no way i would be able to sort it out other than start a long walk home, Thank goodness i did not have one but point is have to agree with you that Tannus and other solid tyres have there place, for me if its really cold i use a bike with marathons but solid tyres when it’s cold and dark and wet have there place.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
LOL, When cycling last week i got so cold i thought if i get a puncture theres no way i would be able to sort it out other than start a long walk home, Thank goodness i did not have one but point is have to agree with you that Tannus and other solid tyres have there place, for me if its really cold i use a bike with marathons but solid tyres when it’s cold and dark and wet have there place.
Absolutely right.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sealant canisters are a better option IMO.

Ajax Bay

Guru
us poor pneumatic peasants have to fumble at the roadside for all of three minutes.
You must be a ninja tube replacer to be back rolling in 3 minutes. What caused your last puncture?
I laugh my nuts off as I pass all the idiots with punctures, especially when it’s cold and dark and wet,
Welcome back from your sabbatical. Your mirth reveals an unattractive lack of empathy with your fellow riders who've very, very occasionally been unlucky.

Top Bottom