How irritating.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My local bike shop has just taken on Tannus tyres.

The shop owner wasn't keen having seen many solid tyres come and go over the years.

The manager was a bit more positive, Tannus are only selling through independent shops, and each shop is given a reasonable patch - the rep won't put them in the other shop in the town.

Many customers will want the Tannus fitted, so there's less chance of my local shop being spanked by online cash and carry sales.

The shop has quite a few commuting customers who are not the least bit interested in cycling - the bike is just a tool - so they may be attracted by maintenance free tyres.

Each year a number of new cyclists buy a bike just to do the C2C ride, they might go the extra ton for no puncture worries.

I quite like the idea of Tannus tyres on a Brompton.

Mixed reviews on here, but the tyres should do for my push bike wobbling about town riding and occasional short trundle on a cinder track.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
But surely pneumatic tyres will do the job too, with minimal chance of puncturing and every chance of being more comfortable. So why pay treble? Each Tannus tyre seems to be £49-59.

I had a couple of rear punctures on my last Brompton.

No doubt many owners can change the tyre easily, but I was never quite sure how all the gearing bits went back together, not to mention the next-to-useless Zefal pump on the bike.

If I lash out on a new Brommie it probably wouldn't get very frequent use so being able to get on the bike without having to check tyre pressures would be another attraction.

Sure, it's another £100, but as part of a £1,200 buy the extra spend wouldn't bother me.

BSOh

Über Member
But surely pneumatic tyres will do the job too, with minimal chance of puncturing and every chance of being more comfortable. So why pay treble? Each Tannus tyre seems to be £49-59.

I am not a confident cyclist, and yet to do any proper 'on road' cycling. I'm hoping that will change this summer. Trying to fix a puncture at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere is seriously off putting to me.not because of the puncture fixing itself, but rescue if something goes wrong. I don't get a phone signal at my house, let alone if I was to go to the more rural areas on the bike. The tannus will give me confidence and peace of mind.

Because of this the cost is outweighed by the security for me. Of course as long as they perform reasonably well :okay:. That I will report on next week ^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I only pootle along and I'm highly suspicious of tyre connoisseurs who talk about how different tyres feel, in an Oz Clarke/ Jilly Wotsit kind of way.

Different tyre compounds will give different grip and feel, but it's largely lost on me probably because most bike tyres are broadly similar.

The durable tyres - eg Marathons - are supposed to offer less grip, maybe I never pushed mine hard enough to reveal that shortcoming.

I would prefer to try a Brommie/Tannus combination before buying.

My suggestion to the bike shop to put Tannus tyres on their Brompton demo has so far fallen on deaf ears.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I thought one of the attractions of a folding bike is that if it really fails, you fold it and get a bus/train/taxi home. So I think there's even less reason for hard tyres on it, which is why I've left the soft Kenda tyres on mine, which once flatted while I was pushing the bike :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't get a phone signal at my house, let alone if I was to go to the more rural areas on the bike. The tannus will give me confidence and peace of mind.
Right up until you skid them.

It's unusual to have such poor mobile phone coverage these days. Could the phone have a fault?

It's unusual to have such poor mobile phone coverage these days. Could the phone have a fault?

You don't live far enough west...there are places near here where there is none at all. Along with broadband speeds below 1.5mbits/sec. Stone age...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No. We have awful mobile coverage round here. And broadband.
West Wales has plenty of deadspots, although my Vodafone signal has got better since they upgraded the mast early this year. I live near Fishguard and I now have the luxury of being able to send a text without going upstairs and waving the phone out of the window.

Ok for internet though as we have been fibre optic for a couple of years.

The thought of having to change a puncture at the side of the road horrifies me...sorry, it just does. I have about 10% hope of doing it correctly, managing to get the tyre off, then fixing it, then putting it back on etc, and when I have practised at home it has never, ever taken less than 30 minutes, so to suggest it can be done in 3 (yes I'm sure YOU can) but sometimes others cant...punctures are the stuff of nightmares for me (this is from someone who genuinely struggles to even blow up his tyres, lost count of the number of valves I have snapped trying to do it so bear with me on this....) so I now have Marathon + on, plus tubes filled with slime. I tried to get Tannus tyres fitted but because of the shape of my wheels (just regular Giant PR2 I think) the LBS were reluctant to as they were not confident they could fit properly due to small ridges on the wheel (as you can probably tell, I'm not very technical). was absolutely gutted, Tannus are the answer to me to everything, but while I was happy to pay £100, having to now pay for wheels as well (what £250 at least) plus the tyres is a bit galling.

Went out today and did 40 odd miles with no tubes, no puncture repair kit etc (as I could maybe get the tyres off but know for certain I cant get them back on) and thankfully I got by but I know this needs resolved somehow...all I can see is more cash.... I actually have the money to do it, but the bike cost £1k and to get new wheels and tannus tyres is prob going to cost another £350 at least...is it really worth it...

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Is it really worth it? No, IMO. £350 is a lot to fork out to try and solve your issues, and you're not going to learn anything by spending that money.

Find a beginners bicycle maintenance class and familiarise yourself with the basics, would be my advice.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The thought of having to change a puncture at the side of the road horrifies me...sorry, it just does. I have about 10% hope of doing it correctly, managing to get the tyre off, then fixing it, then putting it back on etc, and when I have practised at home it has never, ever taken less than 30 minutes, so to suggest it can be done in 3 (yes I'm sure YOU can) but sometimes others cant...punctures are the stuff of nightmares for me (this is from someone who genuinely struggles to even blow up his tyres, lost count of the number of valves I have snapped trying to do it so bear with me on this....) so I now have Marathon + on, plus tubes filled with slime. I tried to get Tannus tyres fitted but because of the shape of my wheels (just regular Giant PR2 I think) the LBS were reluctant to as they were not confident they could fit properly due to small ridges on the wheel (as you can probably tell, I'm not very technical). was absolutely gutted, Tannus are the answer to me to everything, but while I was happy to pay £100, having to now pay for wheels as well (what £250 at least) plus the tyres is a bit galling.

Went out today and did 40 odd miles with no tubes, no puncture repair kit etc (as I could maybe get the tyres off but know for certain I cant get them back on) and thankfully I got by but I know this needs resolved somehow...all I can see is more cash.... I actually have the money to do it, but the bike cost £1k and to get new wheels and tannus tyres is prob going to cost another £350 at least...is it really worth it...
sounds to me like you would be better off switching to tubs and carrying a can of pit stop .

Alan O

Über Member
If I had my daily commuting days back again, I'd get a pair of Tannus tyres for sure. I never had a car, and for a fair bit of my commuting days I lived where there was no public transport (either literally none, or round the world routes that would have added an hour each way). So I had to cycle to work, all year round.

I was careful with the road surfaces I used, and I replaced tyres long before they were properly worn out (we didn't have puncture protection back then, so extra care was needed), and I kept the punctures to a minimum. I'm actually fine with fixing punctures or replacing tubes, and I can do it in a reasonable time - on a warm dry day. But having to fix a puncture on a cold wet day is misery. Sat by the side of a busy road, rain lashing down, fingers cold... nooooo!

Not sure I'd pay hundreds of pounds for new wheels to be able to fit them, especially not now we have tyres like Marathons which are so tough, mind. But then I don't buy expensive kit, and I'm pretty sure I could fit Tannus to one of my old bikes.

Top Bottom