How is it Possible so many Pro Cyclists Still Get Punctures ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I really don't understand how it's possible for Pro Cyclists to still get punctures in this modern Hi tech age ? :sad:

Kevlar was the answer at one time ? as not only does it stop punctures ? but it's also Bullet proof ? which can be handy when a farmer shoots at you with his shotgun for going on his land,down some unlit with no clear sign posts lane,in the middle of no where which happened to me on a few occasions while training in the Essex area :sad:

So moving on we now have better materials than Kevlar which Pro Cycling teams must have read about like some made from some of the strongest DNA offspring's from Nature like Spiders webs,which happen to be one of Natures best!

"Darwin’s bark spider, however, takes tensile strength an entirely new level. Its dragline silk – the type that forms the energy-absorbing primary spokes of the orb-web – is twice as strong as that of any other silk thus far tested, and an astonishing 10 times stronger than Kevlar."

Spider silk 10 times stronger than Kevlar
Protein discovery has implications for biomechanics.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/madagascar-spider-silk-10-times-stronger-than-kevlar/

Apparently they do, but they're 8 foot, so no good.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
There was a fab experiment to assess the impact on Web symmetry whilst spiders were high on various drugs. Am struggling to recall whether caffeine or THC gave the craziest result.

Not sure how that's relevant to tyres.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
There was a fab experiment to assess the impact on Web symmetry whilst spiders were high on various drugs. Am struggling to recall whether caffeine or THC gave the craziest result.

Here are some examples, I note that there is no Froome style salbutamol tested.

1626472545316.jpeg

classic33

Leg End Member
Size is not always a sign of strength! just as a few layers of Kevlar are stronger than an inch thick piece of steel.
You'd never have a puncture if you used steel "tyres" though. Might be a bit of a bumpy ride though.

Equal thicknesses of the two materials, and kevlar is stronger. Otherwise you're wrong, again!

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense

IIRC it was LSD that created the maddest patterns. I know my web spinning has never been the same since ...

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
They should make them all use marathon pluses.
In all seriousness, F1 races on 'control' tyres supplied by a single manufacturer at the moment. It would be possible to enforce similar in the Peleton.

...but then no drama, of course :smile:

Top Bottom