How is it Possible so many Pro Cyclists Still Get Punctures ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Anthony.R.Brown

Anthony.R.Brown

Ganna left ‘sweating and scared’ as puncture threatened Giro d’Italia time trial victory...

“I was sweating and scared. I could have lost the win after my puncture,” Ganna told Eurosport of his wait to see if anyone wold beat him."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ga...e-threatened-giro-ditalia-time-trial-victory/

classic33

Leg End Member
Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

You could have just read the article, then you would have had an answer to your question.

Let me help:

Why do riders puncture so often in races?
Maybe they don’t. Instead it could just be that we see a handful of riders puncturing yet 95% of the bunch are fine. There are no statistics on this. But there are plenty of stories of riders losing a race thanks to a puncture at the wrong moment.

There are differences for pro races. Riders have their jobs on the line so they’ll think nothing of trying to chancing their $2,000 wheels over a sunken drain-cover and the impact can cause a puncture, either the snake bite variety or by slamming any shard of glass or stone home into the tube. Also in a race every bit of the road is used, including the gutter and other places where debris lies. In training you’d avoid these things. This might help explain the high frequency of punctures.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Are you taking the MTAF into account?

What percentage of pro cyclists who have beards, also have punctures. And is that rate higher for them, especially if they crash, more or less.
So what's the outcome for a pro from 1972 whose beard caught a bee which caused him to lose concentration and thus his line, pick up some gravel flints which resulted in a slow puncture and subsequent loss of time? Adjust me that, please.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here are some examples, I note that there is no Froome style salbutamol tested.

View attachment 599452
You forgot this one...

:smile:

proletaratOne

This might be a hard one to wrap head around

but always remember most designs are compromises

the was another thread here pointing out…. If carbon is so strong why does it break

well same as tires …., the goal is to win races… not be umbreakable.

if suddlenly there became a miracle material that was 5 times stronger than today’s stuff

you would make the object 5 times thinner

so it would be faster and lighter

the example is linear and the problems with material is more complex( strength , flexibility, sheering forces, durability)…. But it’s just a quick way to explain it

Top Bottom