How is it Possible so many Pro Cyclists Still Get Punctures ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anthony.R.Brown

I really don't understand how it's possible for Pro Cyclists to still get punctures in this modern Hi tech age ? :sad:

Kevlar was the answer at one time ? as not only does it stop punctures ? but it's also Bullet proof ? which can be handy when a farmer shoots at you with his shotgun for going on his land,down some unlit with no clear sign posts lane,in the middle of no where which happened to me on a few occasions while training in the Essex area :sad:

So moving on we now have better materials than Kevlar which Pro Cycling teams must have read about like some made from some of the strongest DNA offspring's from Nature like Spiders webs,which happen to be one of Natures best!

"Darwin’s bark spider, however, takes tensile strength an entirely new level. Its dragline silk – the type that forms the energy-absorbing primary spokes of the orb-web – is twice as strong as that of any other silk thus far tested, and an astonishing 10 times stronger than Kevlar."

Spider silk 10 times stronger than Kevlar
Protein discovery has implications for biomechanics.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/madagascar-spider-silk-10-times-stronger-than-kevlar/

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am not sure how serious you are being, as an experienced TTer you would know that it is all about rolling resistance.

winjim

Smash the cistern
So moving on we now have better materials than Kevlar which Pro Cycling teams must have read about like some made from some of the strongest DNA offspring's from Nature like Spiders webs,which happen to be one of Natures best!
I can't stop reading this.

OP
OP
Anthony.R.Brown

Anthony.R.Brown

Spiders are Amazing they will weave a web into any shape you put in front of them,including the Classic cycling tyre shape,but of course that is not how it would be done if the tyre companies wanted to make & use it,it would of course be done in a lab,using some chemical process copying Nature,and then transferring it over to a flat material which could then be layered into tyre manufacturing.

Pro teams must look at it ? as it would be so embarrassing to lose a race like the Tour de France etc. because of a puncture :sad:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Spiders are Amazing they will weave a web into any shape you put in front of them,including the Classic cycling tyre shape,but of course that is not how it would be done if the tyre companies wanted to make & use it,it would of course be done in a lab,using some chemical process copying Nature,and then transferring it over to a flat material which could then be layered into tyre manufacturing.

Pro teams must look at it ? as it would be so embarrassing to lose a race like the Tour de France etc. because of a puncture :sad:
Looks like Goodyear are ahead of the curve with dandelion rubber and synthetic spider silk tyres.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/vehicles/goodyear-recharge-car-tire-concept

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I really don't understand how it's possible for Pro Cyclists to still get punctures in this modern Hi tech age ? :sad:

Kevlar was the answer at one time ? as not only does it stop punctures ? but it's also Bullet proof ? which can be handy when a farmer shoots at you with his shotgun for going on his land,down some unlit with no clear sign posts lane,in the middle of no where which happened to me on a few occasions while training in the Essex area :sad:

"Darwin’s bark spider, however, takes tensile strength an entirely new level. Its dragline silk – the type that forms the energy-absorbing primary spokes of the orb-web – is twice as strong as that of any other silk thus far tested, and an astonishing 10 times stronger than Kevlar."

Spider silk 10 times stronger than Kevlar
Protein discovery has implications for biomechanics.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/madagascar-spider-silk-10-times-stronger-than-kevlar/
Chapeau.

Adam4868

Guru
tenor-8.gif

Sharky

Guru
Do we have any statistics for exactly how many punctures they get each day in the TDF? From what I've seen on TV, it's not that many and even when they do have a puncture, all they need to do is to wait a few seconds for their team car and their spare bike, followed by an assisted chase back to the bunch.

Top Bottom