How long after cycling does the heat rate return to normal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

I went cycling 3 hours ago and my heart rate is still very high (106),I cycled 55km at 20km/h (there were a lot of hills). Is my heart rate high because of the cycling?

Slick

Guru
Depends on what it usually is. Seems high to me especially as my heart rate usually goes back to normal reasonably quickly.

Sharky

Guru
On a previous post, you said your resting hr is 90 - 100. So 106 is not that much more than normal and you said that the gp was happy with these numbers.

If you feel normal, I wouldn't worry. But anything unusual, time to call the gp.

Big John

Guru
I agree with Slick. Depends on what you normally tick over at but even so 106 is pretty high. Maybe get some proper medical advice if you're concerned. If it were me I'd be concerned enough to ask a professional. Like a lot of folks on here who have been riding for years we tend to have low resting heart rates but we're all different so that's not cast in stone.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

On a previous post, you said your resting hr is 90 - 100. So 106 is not that much more than normal and you said that the gp was happy with these numbers.

If you feel normal, I wouldn't worry. But anything unusual, time to call the gp.
Over the past couple days its been in the 80 siva since cardiology tests next week so might bring it up then.

MntnMan62

Über Member
As others have said, it really depends on how fit you are and what your normal HR is. If your normal HR is 90-100, then 106 isn't all that much higher.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Mine doesn't. Resting is normally about 60 but in the evening after a long, hard ride it won't fall below 70.

We're all different

As you get used to that exercise and get fitter your HR after will be lower and closer to your wake up and before you eat anything resting HR.

Last edited:

Lovacott

Über Member
It should return to normal in minutes
The worst hill I do takes it up to 130bpm but within a minute it is back down below 100bpm.

106bpm as a resting rate seems quite high but that could be down to something like stress or too much coffee?

Best to get the doctor to take a look rather than ask a bunch of middle aged fat arses on tinternet. :boxing::boxing:

boydj

Legendary Member
I am young, my fitness is ok. I am a healthy weight.

Your health might be ok, but physical fitness depends on how active you are, and this is generally reflected in your resting heart rate. If you've only recently started cycling and you have not previously been exercising regularly, then your resting heart rate will probably be on the high side and, more importantly your recovery rate - the time for your heart rate to return to normal - will be slow.

Many years ago, when I was running 50+ miles a week and running sub 3 hour marathons, my resting heart rate was in the 50's and I could push it to ~200 with some fast interval training or towards the end of a shorter race. While I might feel recovered a couple of hours later, my heart rate would still be a bit elevated and would take another couple of hours of rest to return to normal.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

The worst hill I do takes it up to 130bpm but within a minute it is back down below 100bpm.

106bpm as a resting rate seems quite high but that could be down to something like stress or too much coffee?

Best to get the doctor to take a look rather than ask a bunch of middle aged fat arses on tinternet. :boxing::boxing:
I don't drink coffee or consume much caffeine. I am going to the doctor, I just wanted to know whether anyone experienced the same thing as me,so I could get some answers as no doctor has provided me with any answers.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Answering your question is impossible without knowing your HR when you set off. The NHS website will tell you adults have a resting heart rate of 60-100bpm.

What is important is how quickly your HR drops. A fit person will drop their HR by 20bpm, mine drops 20-30bpm depending on how far in to the ride I am.

It wasn't a particularly fast ride so if your HR is usually low it should have dropped in far less than three hours. I average 110bpm on most rides and would be down to 60-65 within 10 minutes of finishing 100km ride averaging 25kmh. My resting HR is 48.

Top Bottom