How long did it take for you to give up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
MAX SQUARE veloviewer, has it overturned the original reason most of us took up cycling? Getting out of the city or suburbs into the countryside was the way to escape the hussle and bussle. Glasgow and Central belt was enough, the thought of Edinburgh and its commuter satellite towns and villages ended it for me. Now its all about a little bue line /tile in nice countryside.

Have no clue what VV is, even!
:biggrin:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think if you use Veloviewer it has a thing where you record squares all over the map of the country and you try and fill in as much as you can. Whatever keeps you motivated I suppose.

indeed, although I don't think anything has changed not sure what the OP's rant is about, ah it maybe that in order to expand his/her square it involves riding thru Edinburgh city.

Alex321

Veteran
MAX SQUARE veloviewer, has it overturned the original reason most of us took up cycling? Getting out of the city or suburbs into the countryside was the way to escape the hussle and bussle. Glasgow and Central belt was enough, the thought of Edinburgh and its commuter satellite towns and villages ended it for me. Now its all about a little bue line /tile in nice countryside.

I don't think all that many of us use VeloViewer, but of those who do I can't imagine many are such slaves to it as to overturn the original reason for taking up cycling.

Though I suspect there also aren't all that many for whom the original reason for taking up cycling was to get out of the city or suburbs into the countryside.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I must admit, looking at mine, there are two squares that I have ridden all round but not thru, I just favour different country lanes, so I might fill those in next time I'm out those ways, indeed one is preferable route to one cafe having looked at the map, its just not occurred to me to go that way...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's a thread on the forum somewhere about Veloviewer tile collecting.

Edit: And HERE it is

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's a Strava add-on isn't it? I don't use Strava but I can see how tile collecting could become addictive.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Is this like a Strava thing where users feel compelled to ride more often, further or faster to 'beat' previous rides or distance totals etc?
If it is then I suppose it is only a certain type of person that feels the need to be validated in that way. For most I guess these apps are just a bit of fun or a tool to support their hobby?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Is this like a Strava thing where users feel compelled to ride more often, further or faster to 'beat' previous rides or distance totals etc?
If it is then I suppose it is only a certain type of person that feels the need to be validated in that way. For most I guess these apps are just a bit of fun or a tool to support their hobby?

No Veloviewer is just a better interface for viewing your strava data. The tile thing is just a way at looking where you have ridden any competition is purely against yourself, there is no "leaderboard" unlike strava segments....

by way of example, shows what tiles you rode thru, & what are part of a "cluster" and or a "square". A similar curiosity to Eddington numbers.
1652083772095.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Kind of. It's where you pick off squares, so no speed or distance involved. So you gradually build up a patchwork of having ridden in every grid square in your area. I don't know if they use the OS grid, or their own grid. I have a very old guidebook to Dartmoor that has a similar thing only you colour in the squares on a page in the back yourself, using an olde-fangled crayon.

That's the kind of thing that, as you say, will only appeal to a certain kind of person. I'm that kind of person! Fortunately for me it only works on Strava, so I'm spared the addiction, and spared devising stupid routes to cover missing squares. :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom