How long do you keep a saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have a Brooks and I don't think I will ever have to get rid of it. It will probably outlive me.:laugh:

Can you refurbish plastic saddles? What kind of high density padding and waterproof leather could you use? Does anyone offer this service? I have a beaten up old Specialized saddle that fits me just right.
I'd search the net for a new similar one.
A good chance it is still available under a more humble brand.
While spesh has "improved" its with needless features and jacked up the price.
Or look on ebay - you can often get pretty new or in fact new good saddles for under £15 or £10.
My self built tourer has a quality saddle that cost me £6.

I'd search the net for a new similar one.
A good chance it is still available under a more humble brand.
While spesh has "improved" its with needless features and jacked up the price.
Or look on ebay - you can often get pretty new or in fact new good saddles for under £15 or £10.
My self built tourer has a quality saddle that cost me £6.
I got the saddle on an old bike and have no idea what model it is. I have a classic San Marco Rolls on my tourer which is easy to replace with new but it is a bit too soft for extended riding.

I got the saddle on an old bike and have no idea what model it is. I have a classic San Marco Rolls on my tourer which is easy to replace with new but it is a bit too soft for extended riding.
Yes, those bike companies often knew what they were doing.
Fitted cheap stuff (more profit for them) which good.
My fave saddle came with an expensive dale.
I discovered it was available for £15.
But no more.
I'd keep hunting - the web - even Decathlon or Halfords - for the same or very similar.

si_c

Guru
I tend to ride it until either it becomes functionally deficient or it breaks entirely. Most recently I ceased using the saddle that came with my Felt as the covering material had ripped and the Gel substance covering it (Selle Royal saddle) was breaking apart and coming through - that was after 24k km.

I'm now using a Fabric saddle in it's place - less padding and somewhat harder but it does look like it will wear better - which is a Charge Spoon derivative I'll update here when it breaks :okay:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I don't know why not. A bit of foam, some leather or polyurethane, and a heavy duty stapler should do it. Be sure and keep the material tight as you attach the top. A hammer may be better than a stapler, but some saddles you can see the staples round the bottom.

Skanker

My saddle came free with the £50 commuter, it smells funny, has ripped stitching and holes, it sucks in water when it rains and kindly releases it when sat upon making my arse nicely damp, but man it is comfy even on the bumpiest of journeys.
Blue Peter time, 2 minutes, a black bin bag, a few knots, some duck tape, good as new!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I often worry that it’ll be my Carradice bag that will bust the rails. It’s all very well having up to 75kg of me perched on the saddle, but what about the Bagman Sport rack holding the weight of my Carradice (tools, food, clothes etc) bolted to the very rear of the rails?

I don't know why not. A bit of foam, some leather or polyurethane, and a heavy duty stapler should do it. Be sure and keep the material tight as you attach the top. A hammer may be better than a stapler, but some saddles you can see the staples round the bottom.
I have the idea that the more staples used in a saddle's construction the poorer it is. I prefer none or very few.

si_c

Guru
Oh i'd replace any saddle that had surface cuts or slits.
Not going to do your clothing any good.
One of my bikes had a Selle Italia Turbo saddle on it - super comfortable - looked totally ratty though and set off the general impression the bike had of being about to fall apart. I don't think it did my jeans any harm though, rather the reverse.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My saddle came free with the £50 commuter, it smells funny, has ripped stitching and holes, it sucks in water when it rains and kindly releases it when sat upon making my arse nicely damp, but man it is comfy even on the bumpiest of journeys.
Blue Peter time, 2 minutes, a black bin bag, a few knots, some duck tape, good as new!
My 3-speed hack roadster proudly sports an old Apollo MTB saddle from the early 90's which had holes in it and the foam coming out. I repaired it using some thin foam sheet that came as packaging in something I had delivered, then I bound it all up with duct tape. The bike lives outside so I just leave a plastic bag over the saddle when not in use. Despite looking like it came out of a skip (which it did of course!) I've had no problems doing 20-25 mile rides on it, although I do get a bit of stick about its appearance when taken down the pub - along with the rest of the bike. It's quicker than walking though and just as cheap, so who cares?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Top Bottom