How long should a helmet last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
3 or 4 years is probably the maximum their insurance will cover rather than based on material science.

Gillstay

Über Member
3 or 4 years is probably the maximum their insurance will cover rather than based on material science.
Either that or they look at what the market will accept and then make a judgement. Either way I expect it will be rather arbitery and influenced my making money. Got a 20yr old one in the shed i do not use but looked over it and it looks fine. Just grubby. Seems amazing when the old hard hats at work after 5/6 years used to go very brittle as they degraded in sunlight. Mind you up to then they were amazingly strong.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Just discovered my Specialized Propero is 6 years old. Really comfortable but aging so thought I’d replace it. Went into the LBS and had just 4 helmets in the whole shop! None were suitable so went back online for another Propero, unfortunately they’ve gained 100g in weight and something called ANGI. Seems to be an accident alert system which I already have on other gizmos so not needed. Back to the drawing board. Helmets are one of the things I prefer to try on.

Retread

Regular
Once the inside liner starts to go, I get a new once.
Like I told my wife if you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet.:rolleyes:
Anyway who doesn't like buying new kit.

Last edited:

sasquath

No more than 3 years and replace immediately if dropped
Are you sure? That's shorter than motorbike helmets - 5years

OP
OP
E
I have just binned my 2nd helmet ever

A few months ago I discovered the polystyrene had a crack at the back - LBS said it was fine just lob some glue on it the protection still works OK

A few weeks ago I noticed that the glued bit was OK but the whole 'back of the head' section was cracking apart

Just got a new Lazer one

will probably get a rear light for it - just to give bhave a good answer when someone knocks me off from behind (stop sniggering at the back!!!!!!) and says SMIDSY )in addition to the 3 rear lights and 4 front lights and hi vis and reflective jacket - I like to be seen:eek:

No idea why the old one fell apart

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have four helmets. Can't remember when I bought them except the last one about one year ago. None of them show any sign of wear so I assume they are all good.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have just binned my 2nd helmet ever

A few months ago I discovered the polystyrene had a crack at the back - LBS said it was fine just lob some glue on it the protection still works OK

Helmets are meant to protect via the polystyrene compressing in a impact reducing the forces to the skull. Glue won’t sort that. If it’s cracked the polystyrene has turned brittle and is beyond its useful life

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I do have a helmet - a Giro Atmos. It is about 15 years old I guess. I keep in it's cloth bag in the cupboard. I've worn it maybe 20 times - when regs require me to, sportives and the like. I'm assuming it's still ok. Certainly looks it.
Mine, make unknown, is possibly about 20yrs old. It only comes out of the cupboard for track sessions (because it's mandatory). I don't wear one for time-trials & it's years since I road-raced.

Top Bottom