How long should a helmet last

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Helmets are meant to protect via the polystyrene compressing in a impact reducing the forces to the skull. Glue won’t sort that. If it’s cracked the polystyrene has turned brittle and is beyond its useful life
I have seen the images of broken ones, but not one showing the helmet compressed. Carlton Reid has an interview somewhere, with a helmet tester, saying they don't protect from concussion.

I have seen the images of broken ones, but not one showing the helmet compressed. Carlton Reid has an interview somewhere, with a helmet tester, saying they don't protect from concussion.
I'm seeing double already.

I had one incident where it was what I would describe as "compressed". I've thrown it out now so I can't take a picture. No big cracks, but just kind of squished, with some tiny cracks. The outside shell cracked but that's to be expected I think.

I think I was still concussed afterwards though. I was shaking for ages, and generally feeling confused and shaken up and just all over feeling terrible. I made my way home as quickly as possible (which wasn't very quickly with a wrecked bike, long walk to the nearest station and circuitous train route). No loss of consciousness, no headache or nausea - I was "with it" enough to be constantly monitoring for concussion symptoms worsening. By the time I got home I was feeling OK except for being unnaturally cold.

In an attempt to stay on topic. Mine generally last until lost (left on train, dropped onto train tracks etc) or bashed. Or until I fancy spending a bit of money for no reason. Typically 3-4 years.
I banged my head after a fall on the way to school as a kid - double vision for a few hours - seem to remember I then went home for the rest of the day - no helmets those days for general riding so it was back on the bike day after but using a rack/bag rather than plastic bag over the handlebars - it caught in the wheel and I went over the front. Could have been far far worse.

mustang1

Guru
Change your helmet for any of the following reasons:

If dropped helmet or had some other heavy impact.
If over 5 years old in British weather.
if over 3 years old in solid sunshine states.
If you are bored of the colour/style.

Caveats: I dropped my helpmet and IDK how old it is, but I still use it. I guess I should change it and this thread has reminded me that I should and for that, thanks! I see it a bit like tyres. If the bike has tyres which are over 5 years old, I'll still ride the bike but slowly. If I want to push the sound barrier then I'll ensure tyres are < 3 years old and in good condition. Then again, my tyres dont last longer than that anyway.

Anyway, the above is just the way I roll, not necessarily correct.

mustang1

Guru
I wear them until they break or something happens to the strapping/mounting system.
I'd need pretty damn serious scientific proof that there is anything wrong with this before changing my approach.

Oh - I'd also retire after any sort of head impact, but I've never had one in 25 years of serious cycling.

There is that flat-earth thread going on....

OP
OP
E
My first helmet lasted me several years - I only got it because I worked in a school and it seemed a bit wrong for the teachers to be telling the kids to wear a helmet and then they see me happily riding around without one.
ANyway - a few years later I fell of at very slow speed (long story) and broke my arm. No memory of a head problem except a gently knock when I realised I was on the ground and started trying to get up

After a few weeks of not riding due to arm in plaster - I was looking at the helmet and found an area several inches wide that was badly compressed :eek:
So they do compress - but it is difficult to see it as the polystyrene is compressed but the plastic on top springs back

so it is worth checking every now again

Top Bottom