How long should a washing machine typically last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
My last washing machine lasted for 10 years until the drive spindle corroded and broke. The rest of it was still in perfect working order.

My current one has lasted about two - it's now shorting out the downstairs sockets.

When I was looking for a replacement I noticed that a three year warranty was about 50% of the cost of a new machine.

Am I correct in thinking that it's not unusual for a new washing machine to last less than three years?

SheilaH

Depends how much you use it.

They have built in obsolescence these days. The era of appliances lasting 20 years is long gone. My Zanussi seems to be doing alright mind you.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Depends which one you get. Washing machines are the one appliance where I'll pay the extra for a Miele. They take a tremendous amount of stress - imagine what the main bearing goes through, spinning loads of soaking material at 1000 RPM+. 10 years+ is bare minimum for a Miele - twice that is not uncommon. They're not cheap, but buy carefully from eBay and you can get a near-new machine for about what you'd pay for a new 'other'.

subaqua

What’s the point
My last washing machine lasted for 10 years until the drive spindle corroded and broke. The rest of it was still in perfect working order.

My current one has lasted about two - it's now shorting out the downstairs sockets.

When I was looking for a replacement I noticed that a three year warranty was about 50% of the cost of a new machine.

Am I correct in thinking that it's not unusual for a new washing machine to last less than three years?

That will be the element . Hard water ?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
We've had our Miele washing machine for 12 years and not a single problem yet.

In the meantime, we've replaced our (non-Miele) dishwasher twice.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Our's has grumbling bearings, but will use it till it stops completely. Had it 8 years. Was only a cheap one as we only ever use about 3 programmes !!

I replaced our Bosch machine only last week (after 8 very hard years' labour!) with a Smeg and when I had the machines side-by-side in the kitchen I noticed that the bodywork was exactly the same on both of them. Not just similar, but absolutely identical. That prompted my to take the top and back panels off each (curiosity got the better of me, I'll admit) and they turned out to be identical on the interior too. It did make me wonder how many brands there are being churned out of the same factories...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
We tend to get about 10 years out of them, but there are only two of us, so it probably only goes on 3 or 4 times a week.
Mates with young familes can put theirs on that many times in a day!

That said, at only two years old I'd be speaking to whoever you bought it from before replacing it.

Mrs M

Guru
Our Miele is 14 years old.
When we were looking for a new machine back then a salesman said machines were only built to last a couple of years. So cheaper in the long run to buy the Miele :smile: (Didn't buy it from him though).

gbb

Legendary Member
can't understand why my wife just brought a Hoover after two Hotpoints that have given sterling service, lasting ...maybe 8 to 10 years each and she is a regular user.. Last one is still going but a couple of hose leaks ruined a newly laid floor so we opted for a new one to prevent recurrence.

Mums is circa 20 years old, we've never had one lasted less than maybe 6 years.

MarkF

Guru
Had a Bosch when we moved in, proper one, actually made by Bosch, it lasted about 10 years. It's hard being without a washer and there being 5 of us and I rushed the next purchase, I bought a Russell Hobbs model that I saw on offer in Asda. It lasted 2 weeks, the replacement lasted a little longer, the third less so.....of course "Russel Hobbs" was just a label on a Turkish made pile of crap. I think we have gone though more than 10 washing machines in the past decade, the current one has done well, maybe 2 years, an Indesit WIDXE146.

Nobody cares anymore, not the public or the manufacturers, they are built to go pop quickly, and they are so cheap you just get another. :sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom