How long should a washing machine typically last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've had my Hoover washing machine for about 13years. It was 2nd hand when i got it. Apart from it needing a new inlet valve a couple of years ago which cost less than a tenner, it's been great. No signs of it packing up just yet... but I've just invoked Sod's Law so it'll go at the least convenient moment.

Most of the ships I've worked on had a Miele, well usually 2 - one for boilersuits+ 'working' clothes, one for 'clean' clothes..
They get hammered as in 15 - 16 people using them with very few periods during a normal day when they aren't being used. Problems with them were often down to the human element, nuts/bolts/screws/whatever that get forgotten in boilersuit pockets, but even then after removing them they are usually ok. If not spares were available!
Seems as good an endorsement as I can think of.

We had a Bosch for 14 years so we bought another - that lasted 5 years as some production had moved to Spain and the sealed drums were not repairable.

Now it's a £130 Indesit ( 3 years old) with no warranty and if it lasts, it lasts and if fails we get another.

Venod

Eh up
I have kept several old washing machines going, ours/sons/daughters with running repairs, you have to decide when to call it a day and replace it, our last one was a Bosch that lasted about 12 years and when it finally packed in I sold a lot of the good bits on eBay quite easily, it seems I am not the only one keeping old machines alive, we now have a Miele so hopefully I won't have to look at that for a while, we have a Whirlpool Tumble Drier that I could take to pieces with my eyes closed its been in bits that many times, I think the next time it goes faulty it gets recycled.

aferris2

Guru
Just bought an LG. Had a couple of Hotpoints before and they each lasted about 15 years. Was going to go for another hotpoint but was firmly advised against. The only thing is every time you look at the LG it plays a tune at you. Why?? It's supposed to be good for 7 years...

pplpilot

Guru
My Miele is 17 years old and never missed a beat, the last 7 years its done a full load every day and more what with 3 young children. Like everything else you pays your money.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm sure you can buy a new hose and just fit it on easily, you dont have to replace the whole washer.
I did...two different ones on different occasions. Fat lot of good it did, the first leak caused me to uplift newly laid laminate, the second leak slightly damaged the same, spot again.
So enough is enough. We'd had it 7 years apparently, we'd had our money's worth, time for a new one. :okay:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My Hotpoint is doing well. It was 4 when I got it and I have had it 2 years now and it's doing ok. My previous washer, another Hotpoint, lasted me 15 years and it was a couple of years old when I got it off my Nan. I would recommend one to a friend and would then hope that they don't get a Friday one

alicat

Legendary Member
In my understanding, each brand/price point is designed to last for a number of cycles.

Beko was the most reliable brand that would fit in the shallow space in my reconfigured kitchen. I prefer it to the Bosch I had before. It washes better and it is easier to use. If it gives up the ghost early on, I will get another one unless Miele make one that fits in the space.

Levo-Lon

Guru
We have 50 Zanussi washer dryers in the home I work at..
They are about 15 month old....They get damp and earth all the time...engineer needed to replace heating element..common fault

I'd say 5 yr these days as there made for a price..buy a high end job and it will last twice as long..
you get what you pay for....
buy from JL and enjoy their waranty

Since leaving the comfort of my parents house 16 years ago, I had a Hotpoint - noisy, rattly, herendous heap of junk, replaced that with the first of two Bosch machines and that was a real workhorse, it met it`s maker after 10 years when I tried to replace the motor brushes and it never went back together:blush:. As that one was good I bought another Bosch to replace it, good god that one was a bigger heap of shite than the Hotpoint, gave up after about 18 months and took it to the tip. I bit the bullet a year ago and pulled out £1000 on a Miele and I love it (well, as much as one can love a washing machine!), it`s heavy, solid, and just amazing quality, simple to use too. I`m biased now and will never look back

GGJ

Veteran
I've a Bosch washing machine which is now 22 years old. It stopped working last year and I traced the fault to worn motor brushes. It cost me £6.99 for a new set of brushes, two local phone calls, 40 minutes cycling to collect the brushes, 30 minutes of my time fitting them and it's still going strong...

Possibly just jinxed it now typing this

Top Bottom