How long should a washing machine typically last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tony111

Veteran
Recently bought a Zanussi.It's got a pretty little digital programmer that tells you how long there is left of the washing cycle.......the lying little so and so has never told the truth yet.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Recently bought a Zanussi.It's got a pretty little digital programmer that tells you how long there is left of the washing cycle.......the lying little so and so has never told the truth yet.

Did you buy it off an orange-faced nylon-haired old American dude with tiny hands?

subaqua

What’s the point
They all lie. 2 mins was timed at 8 mins on the final spin bit on our hotpoint.

The insurance thing works too as ours got replaced when it became non cost effective to fix when the plastic inside broke. Had a new one in less than 72 hours from call to ask for a repair.

Mr Celine

Discordian
My current machine is a Zanussi which ran faultlessly for 10 years before the drum bearings wore out. Washing machines are now so cheap it's not worth paying to have them repaired, but on the other hand the internet has made it easy to source cheap parts and there are plenty of videos on youtube giving tips on how to dismantle domestic applicances.
For about £30 I got two bearings, a tub seal and a pleasant afternoon dismantling and fettling something without two wheels.
If you can fix a bike you can fix a washing machine. You just need a bigger hammer.

GGJ

Veteran
I've a Bosch washing machine which is now 22 years old. It stopped working last year and I traced the fault to worn motor brushes. It cost me £6.99 for a new set of brushes, two local phone calls, 40 minutes cycling to collect the brushes, 30 minutes of my time fitting them and it's still going strong...

Possibly just jinxed it now typing this

Looks like I did jinx myself with the above post, the pump has started playing up so I decided to find go on the hunt for a pump which is exactly the same model as originally fitted and found one on the bay of flees

This is the picture of the pump I ordered and as per their advertisement which matches exactly what I have right down to the part number. So far so good and it arrived today by Royal Mail...

s-l500.jpg

Unfortunately the POS that arrived looks nothing like what I have paid for, more like a cheap replica from the far east, it weighs around 2/3rds of the original pump and the copper winding is around half the size of the original pump which could easily overheat and set the house on fire.

IMG_1636.JPG

So after raising a complaint via eBay I decided to call a local repair shop and asked if they had a genuine Askoll M50 pump only to be told they only have pattern pumps and every single washing machine pump in "THE WORLD" is made by Askoll but with a different plastic outer casing... Yes they really must think I came up the Clyde on a banana boat.

Not a happy (Easter) bunny... Rant over

gbb

Legendary Member
I / we had this with a Hotpoint. I think what it's displaying is the time remaining of that particular part of the cycle, not the time till its completely finished.

gbb

Legendary Member
I suspect when it comes to folks opinions on brand reliability it's like asking which tyre is best...you'll get 100 different opinions.
We've had plenty of Hotpoint, never really had issues.
One hoover, similar to above.
One other I can't remember now...no problems i recall.

Mum's hoover was about 15 years old and she's just replaced it...not because it was problematic, it had just had a leak, fixed it but she wanted a new one for peace of mind.

I'm sure others have had the opposite experiences with those brands, that's just the way it is...

pauldavid

Veteran
Depends which one you get. Washing machines are the one appliance where I'll pay the extra for a Miele. They take a tremendous amount of stress - imagine what the main bearing goes through, spinning loads of soaking material at 1000 RPM+. 10 years+ is bare minimum for a Miele - twice that is not uncommon. They're not cheap, but buy carefully from eBay and you can get a near-new machine for about what you'd pay for a new 'other'.

My FIL was a white goods engineer until his recent retirement. When we last replaced our washing machine he advised to buy a Miele as they are without doubt the best machine on the market and do not go wrong. In the decades that he did the job he reckoned that nothing ever came close for quality and longevity. I am happy to report that for the last several years the machine has been quietly proving him right despite its daily workload.

classic33

Leg End Member
Looks like I did jinx myself with the above post, the pump has started playing up so I decided to find go on the hunt for a pump which is exactly the same model as originally fitted and found one on the bay of flees

This is the picture of the pump I ordered and as per their advertisement which matches exactly what I have right down to the part number. So far so good and it arrived today by Royal Mail...

View attachment 347513

Unfortunately the POS that arrived looks nothing like what I have paid for, more like a cheap replica from the far east, it weighs around 2/3rds of the original pump and the copper winding is around half the size of the original pump which could easily overheat and set the house on fire.

View attachment 347514

So after raising a complaint via eBay I decided to call a local repair shop and asked if they had a genuine Askoll M50 pump only to be told they only have pattern pumps and every single washing machine pump in "THE WORLD" is made by Askoll but with a different plastic outer casing... Yes they really must think I came up the Clyde on a banana boat.

Not a happy (Easter) bunny... Rant over
http://www.tdspares.co.uk/manufacturer/askoll
Make & model number of the machine?

Not all pumps have motors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom