How long should a washing machine typically last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Not sure exactly how old our Bosch washing machine is, but we brought it with us from our last house and we have been in this house for 20 years.

slowwww

Veteran
+1 for Miele. We've had ours for c.8 years and it despite fearful abuse (I refuse to consider it 'full' until I have to sit on the floor and slam the door shut with my feet!!) it hasn't missed a beat. Previous Hotpoint and Siemens barely lasted 2-3 years.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For those of you who are feeling smug with your 20 year old machines thinking you are saving money - just think about how much you are spending in running costs. The new machines are many times more efficient than the old ones. My tip - buy a reduced price one from whichever company is offering at least a 5 year warranty.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I replaced our Bosch machine only last week (after 8 very hard years' labour!) with a Smeg and when I had the machines side-by-side in the kitchen I noticed that the bodywork was exactly the same on both of them. Not just similar, but absolutely identical. That prompted my to take the top and back panels off each (curiosity got the better of me, I'll admit) and they turned out to be identical on the interior too. It did make me wonder how many brands there are being churned out of the same factories...

Funny you should mention that... I once visited a TV factory in a town called Jazberenyi in Hungary and the production manager told me they manufactured TVs for four major brands, all of whom I thought manufactured in the Far East. He explained that the insides are all more or less the same and are just built to the specification required by the brand. When I asked him which TV he would buy if given the choice he hesitated and replied: "Very little difference but I suppose I'd take a Samsung."

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
We take our washing down to the river and beat it on the stones. While singing spirituals.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Ours was there when I met my wife 8 years ago, but she says it's at least 10 years old. I think it's an electrolux but I can't remember. It has an 8kg capacity but gets stuffed full every time with no regard for the weight we're putting in. We probably do 10 loads a week at least, but they are all on an "every day" cycle which takes about 25 minutes. We also only set the spin speed to 1000 rpm, the clothes come out plenty dry enough.

So, do you think it's our short cycles and low spin speed that's kept it running all these years? Or maybe ours was put together by a particularly conscientious engineer? It's not, or wasn't, an expensive model I don't think.

keithmac

Guru
Our first one lasted 5 years, drum bearings went so I took it to pieces but being a sealed 1 piece drum I couldn't get the bearings out..

Our next Creda has just turned 5 and stopped last week, wouldn't spin.. Took that to bits, removed the motor and found the brushes worn out (to be fair they are a wear item by design).

Lookily I'd kept the motor from the 1st washer (under much protesting from the wife!), managed to use those brushes to fix the Creda while we get a replacement set.

She knows she'll never live it down!.

20170126_184453.jpg

keithmac

Guru
Quite a satisfying repair and the rest of the insides of the Creda look in very good condition, 5 years of daily use..

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
We had a Bosch for 14 years so we bought another - that lasted 5 years as some production had moved to Spain and the sealed drums were not repairable.
Now it's a £130 Indesit ( 3 years old) with no warranty and if it lasts, it lasts and if fails we get another.

My washing machine which failed after two years was also a Bush - I paid extra for a brand name because I thought it would last longer.
I've now just replaced it with a £150 Currys bargain basement special. If it fails after a year then I'll just throw it away and get another - a guaranteed repair is about the same price!

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
While we're on the subject - what's the point of those blanking plugs that you put over the transit bolt holes?

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom