1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long till..

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Joe24, 27 Mar 2008.

1. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

I need new tyres?
    I've done nearly 1800miles on the tyres i have. The Kenda ones that came with the bike. The rear one is nice and smooth but the front one has a line that goes all the way around, in the same place as the one when they were brand new but its sticking out more and abit thicker in places.
    So have the tyres still got alot of life left in them or is it time i start thinking about getting new ones?

Cheers

Joe

2. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

the tread doesn't matter. however, the thickness of the tyre does. when you start having a load of punctures, they've had it.

3. threefingerjoe

threefingerjoe Über Member

I currently have 4300 on a pair. Rear always wears out first. I know of people who consider tyres to be defective if they can't get 5,000 miles.

4. longers

longers Veteran

Swap em round at the weekend front to back.

5. Joe24

Was thinking about doing that Longers.
    I'm aiming to change them before i get a load of punctures so i dont have them on a long ride.

Cheers

Joe

6. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

7. walker

walker New Member

YES DON'T.

Those Kenda tyres are cheap and nasty and I wanted to change them on the mrs Bike but she won't let me.

leave the rear tyre till it starts squaring off, then it's time to change that tyre. If you are going to change one tyre, either repplace it with the same type or change both

8. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

change whenever you can afford it and want, new tyres are nice and they're not that expensive if you can afford them

punctures isn't the happiest way to decide your rear tyres is ready to be retired

9. Joe24

Ok then, i wont. :biggrin:
    The rear one is getting close to squaring off i think.
    Been thinking of changing them to Michelin Pro Race 2 or 3 ready for the summer. Do i go for 23 or 25 though?
    Or are the Continental Grand Prix 4000 better?
    Cheers

10. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

I'm frankly amazed that you've managed to get that far on Kenda tires!

My other half picked up two punctures on her first outing (40m) with the Kenda's on here SCR3W, needless to say they got changed pdq.

11. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

25 or 28;)

unless you're both very lightweight and an extremely competitive racer

12. Joe24

28? Thats way too wide.
    I'm around 9 and a half stone so not too heavy.
    Whats wrong with 23?
    The Kendas havent been too bad, no punctures, but often when braking its been abit slippy and when going round courners. Been abit but clenching sometimes.:biggrin:

13. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

23 is fine for everyone ime. works on my commuter.

i change tyres when they have too many little nicks in them. normally a couple of thousand miles

14. longers

longers Veteran

15. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

23c Pro Race 2's are slightly fat and are a lovely tyre to ride, very fast, very comfortable, if outright speed is not the issue (not TT'ing or club racing) then go 25c for everyday use just for a bit more comfort, you'll barely notice the speed difference unless running 20mph plus.
    Either size will give you a significant improvement.

Oh, as far as swapping tyres ALWAYS have the best tyre on the front.