How long till..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I need new tyres?
I've done nearly 1800miles on the tyres i have. The Kenda ones that came with the bike. The rear one is nice and smooth but the front one has a line that goes all the way around, in the same place as the one when they were brand new but its sticking out more and abit thicker in places.
So have the tyres still got alot of life left in them or is it time i start thinking about getting new ones?

Cheers

Joe

hubgearfreak

Über Member
the tread doesn't matter. however, the thickness of the tyre does. when you start having a load of punctures, they've had it.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Was thinking about doing that Longers.
I'm aiming to change them before i get a load of punctures so i dont have them on a long ride.

Cheers

Joe

Tynan

Veteran
change whenever you can afford it and want, new tyres are nice and they're not that expensive if you can afford them

punctures isn't the happiest way to decide your rear tyres is ready to be retired

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Ok then, i wont. :biggrin:
The rear one is getting close to squaring off i think.
Been thinking of changing them to Michelin Pro Race 2 or 3 ready for the summer. Do i go for 23 or 25 though?
Or are the Continental Grand Prix 4000 better?
Cheers

GrahamG

Guru
I'm frankly amazed that you've managed to get that far on Kenda tires!

My other half picked up two punctures on her first outing (40m) with the Kenda's on here SCR3W, needless to say they got changed pdq.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

28? Thats way too wide.
I'm around 9 and a half stone so not too heavy.
Whats wrong with 23?
The Kendas havent been too bad, no punctures, but often when braking its been abit slippy and when going round courners. Been abit but clenching sometimes.:biggrin:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
23 is fine for everyone ime. works on my commuter.

i change tyres when they have too many little nicks in them. normally a couple of thousand miles

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
23c Pro Race 2's are slightly fat and are a lovely tyre to ride, very fast, very comfortable, if outright speed is not the issue (not TT'ing or club racing) then go 25c for everyday use just for a bit more comfort, you'll barely notice the speed difference unless running 20mph plus.
Either size will give you a significant improvement.

Oh, as far as swapping tyres ALWAYS have the best tyre on the front.

Top Bottom