How long to get used to clipless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cold

It doesn't take long to get used to them and anytime I come up to a junction or any potential problem I unclip and just rest my foot on the pedal.

When you take your foot out ... Do nt put your foot/leg to wide chances are you will slip on the cleats ...It takes as long as it takes

vickster

Legendary Member
You'll be fine in terms of using them, however make sure the cleats are correctly positioned or your feet may well end up hating you. Also, perhaps use thinner socks than you may ordinarily as if it's hot, you feet will swell and could also cause issues

Go practice in heavy traffic, amongst other cyclists if you can just to be able to unclip if someone does something daft, which they may well do on ride 100, 24000 people many of whom will never have ridden amongst so many cyclists before (like me if I make it)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
What works for me: Single-release cleats. Tension set to minimum. An easy sideways heel flick takes your foot straight out. No need to unclip 'in anticipation', I unclip as I stop.

vickster

Legendary Member
Actually the 100 referred to isn't ride 100 as that's in august (panicked there for a moment) ! Is it another 100 mile sportive, or just a self done ton?

Usual worries, I'm sure..

There's a couple of big roundabout to get through to the nicer roads that you have to pull away from fairly shaprish...worried about dawdling getting clipped in before making progress around it.

Secondly, what do people do coming up to junctions that you may or may not stop depending on traffic, do you unlcip ready anyway or leave it until last second and risk falling off???
You'll pull away faster IME. For me and I believe a lot of others you keep your drive foot clipped in and only unclip the weaker foot. Its easier to move the clipped in foot to the push off position (3 o'clock'ish). As you pedal of the weaker foot clips in but if you miss forget about it until you are in a safe place to clip in, youll still have plenty of power. In town I nearly pernamently have my left foot unclipped.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There are pedals with SPD on one side and flat "bearcage" on the other used a lot by tourers and commuters, I've got 2 of mine so equipped. Good to start off with.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Actually the 100 referred to isn't ride 100 as that's in august (panicked there for a moment) ! Is it another 100 mile sportive, or just a self done ton?
Cycleswarm in Chelmsford...although sshhh, the 100 miler is apparently only 90 miles :ohmy:

Cycleswarm in Chelmsford...although sshhh, the 100 miler is apparently only 90 miles :ohmy:
Ride round the block/streets at the end spin your legs out after 90 m ..= 100 m...:smile:

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
There's a couple of big roundabout to get through to the nicer roads that you have to pull away from fairly shaprish...worried about dawdling getting clipped in before making progress around it.
You don't have to be clipped in to be able to push on the pedals, but if you have the foot you normally push down on first clipped in ready, the second foot clicks in pretty easily.
Secondly, what do people do coming up to junctions that you may or may not stop depending on traffic, do you unlcip ready anyway or leave it until last second and risk falling off???
Worth unclipping ready while you are getting used to them. I had a couple of 'near-clipless-moments' not long after I started using them when coming up to a give way I thought was clear only to see a car at the last moment - brain did not quite manage 'stop' and 'unclip' commands simultaneously!

You will be fine. My advice would be:
1. Decide which foot you will commonly use to click out first - I always click out of my Left Shoe first.
2. Decide which foot you will commonly use to click in first - I click my right foot in first

After a few rides, it starts to become second nature.
Both the clipless moments I have had have been because of an unexpected stop when the bike was leaning towards the side I normally click out of last (leaning that way because of the manoeuvre I had just done). I'm so used to unclipping my right foot first that I didn't manage to get my left one out in time.
And believe it or not, if you do have a mishap, and end up stuck in your pedals and on the floor - you will only do it ONCE - I made that mistake just the once. It hurt.
This is not true - see above :sad:. But it didn't hurt that much. The thing about clipless moments is that you are usually stationary (or nearly so), and it's not that far to fall!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
....... In town I nearly permanently have my left foot unclipped.
I don't get this at all! In use I find it almost impossible not to clip in. As soon as the foot is rested in the pedalling position 'click' in it pops.

There are pedals with SPD on one side and flat "bearcage" on the other used a lot by tourers and commuters, I've got 2 of mine so equipped. Good to start off with.
I also don't get these either. I can't imagine anything more of a faff than trying to flip over a pedal that is not weighted to hang one way or the other so as to present a specific side. OK at least single sided clipless road pedals are weighted to hang in the correct position but to try and choose a specific side of an unweighted pedal is just far too random to contemplate :wacko:

I don't get this at all! In use I find it almost impossible not to clip in. As soon as the foot is rested in the pedalling position 'click' in it pops.

I also don't get these either. I can't imagine anything more of a faff than trying to flip over a pedal that is not weighted to hang one way or the other so as to present a specific side. OK at least single sided clipless road pedals are weighted to hang in the correct position but to try and choose a specific side of an unweighted pedal is just far too random to contemplate :wacko:

Welcome to the world where everyone is different :thumbsup:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No faff is involved. They come up clip side. Or, at least, all of mine do. (Three different types)

The non-clip side is useful if you find yourself off road or not wearing cycling shoes.

Top Bottom