How long to get used to clipless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After completing my 60m spotive at the weekend in preparatuin for the 100 miles in July I noticed I was probably the ONLY one in flat pedals!

I ride 95% in commute in London so will stick to that but for my roadbike I've done what I vowed never to do...and bought cleats.

Am I being unrealistic in getting properly used to them in 5 weeks for my longest ride to date?

Durian

Über Member
I think you can probably master them in five hours.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No, not unrealistic at all.
Just practice for a couple of hours and you'll soon get used to them. Anticipation is the key. It won't take long to get used to them and it does becomes second nature.

Though some people do take to them easier then others.

And don't listen to the ones who say you will have a clipless moment. A lot of people have never had a moment.

Crankarm

Guru
I think you can probably master them in five hours.

5 seconds more like it. One would have to be a really rubbish cyclist if one couldn't ride in cleats or even easier SPDs. Iirc I just fitted the pedals and cleats, set them mid point adjustments, put the shoes on and rode :rolleyes:. Riding on flat pedals is so inefficient.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Usual worries, I'm sure..

There's a couple of big roundabout to get through to the nicer roads that you have to pull away from fairly shaprish...worried about dawdling getting clipped in before making progress around it.

Secondly, what do people do coming up to junctions that you may or may not stop depending on traffic, do you unlcip ready anyway or leave it until last second and risk falling off???

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
You will be fine. My advice would be:
1. Decide which foot you will commonly use to click out first - I always click out of my Left Shoe first.
2. Decide which foot you will commonly use to click in first - I click my right foot in first

After a few rides, it starts to become second nature.

And believe it or not, if you do have a mishap, and end up stuck in your pedals and on the floor - you will only do it ONCE - I made that mistake just the once. It hurt.

Good luck

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

There's a couple of big roundabout to get through to the nicer roads that you have to pull away from fairly shaprish...worried about dawdling getting clipped in before making progress around it.

Secondly, what do people do coming up to junctions that you may or may not stop depending on traffic, do you unlcip ready anyway or leave it until last second and risk falling off???

As I said previous. It's all about anticipation. And it's each to their own. Just do what you feel is right rather then what other suggest. I'm a bit of both. Sometimes unclip ready, as it's easy enough to carry on pedalling without being clipped in and I leave to the last second, though there is very little risk of falling off.

I normally clip out a bit before a junction but keep foot on pedal (move my foot slightly backwards so I don't clip back in occidentally) and clip back in if I don't need to stop............. I am one of the clumsiest there is if I can master in a day or 2 then I'm sure you can.....

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle

I always unclip one side (my left) ahead of junctions and roundabouts - I also unclip if the traffic ahead is backing up, in case I have to stop.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As has been said, MTB style double sided pedals maker it easy. My son has just started to use them after first trying some look single sided pedals and found it tricky trying to clip in to the single sided ones but has no trouble what so ever with the MTB ones.

Once you are used to them you will want them for the commute as well :thumbsup:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I always unclip one side (my left) ahead of junctions and roundabouts - I also unclip if the traffic ahead is backing up, in case I have to stop.
I unclip when/if I stop. No need to plan ahead as it is as easy to unclip as it is to lift your foot from a flat pedal.

Glad you posted in this thread @ianrauk, reminds me I have something for you, Pm on its way :thumbsup:

Top Bottom