How long to get used to clipless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Can't anyone track stand at least for a short time? Seldom unclip unless I am getting off my bike or at a red light. There is always something to lean against or if nothing unclip. There's really no need for this level of analysis just ride.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
In my case, never - I do ride with them but still substantially slower off the blocks than with flat pedals owing to my spannerish inability to clip in.
With spd's I'm gone whilst my spd-sl using mates are still stationary and making loud clicking noises.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't get this at all! In use I find it almost impossible not to clip in. As soon as the foot is rested in the pedalling position 'click' in it pops.

I also don't get these either. I can't imagine anything more of a faff than trying to flip over a pedal that is not weighted to hang one way or the other so as to present a specific side. OK at least single sided clipless road pedals are weighted to hang in the correct position but to try and choose a specific side of an unweighted pedal is just far too random to contemplate :wacko:
When the pedal is stationary they hang with the flat side up so you can start off easily, however when you are pedalling the weight of the clip causes the pedal to flip over if you remove your foot at the bottom of the stroke and replace it at the top giving access to the clip side automatically. If then you do not need to clip in pausing the crank allows the pedal to rotate to flat uppermost, really useful in heavy traffic.
The other benefit is that when you unclip the pedal then rotates to give a flat surface so you don't clip back in accidentally like you can with double sided clips

Cubist

Still wavin'
Go and ride off road in them. They become so second nature that you can unclip and dab then clip back in in one smooth moment. Thing about off road is that you clip in and out in one ride more than you would on any week of commuting. If you have any sense of balance whatsoever you can bring the bike to a halt then unclip. Stop over thinking it and just go and practise.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Stop over thinking it and just go and practise.
But how would I keep sending my poor wife around the twist if I stopped overthinking every flipping thing I did!

Thanks all, I shall give it a go after work this week and try a proper ride nice and early Sunday am before too many cars around.

yello

What someone said, it'll take as long as it takes. Don't rush it. But I would have thought you'll be used to it well within the 5 weeks, so long as you practice of course!

And, no, 'clipless moments' are neither a given nor compulsory. At the other end of the scale, some folk never get the hang of it and give in. I figure you'll be somewhere between the two.

Now if you'd said 'clipless and fixed' then I would have said take it easy. That's a combo that does take anticipation and planning, particularly in traffic. Even then, proficiency (and track standing!) come to you with practice!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Hardest thing is mastering them when you have not anticipated stopping. So when you spot a red kite and stop to look, not that I'd know:rolleyes: If you go with SPD then Shimano make a cleat which unclips in any direction, rather than just heel out. Never tried them though.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
At the beginning, it's quite easy to clip back in by mistake when you want to stay unclipped. To avoid this, place your feet quite far forward on the pedal so that your cleats are well away from the clip mechanism.

Last edited:

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Had 2 'moments' with mine after years of riding flats. It does tend to focus you and you learn quickly after that. I think the younger you are the quicker you can adapt.

Big Nick

I would say for a busy commute they probably take more getting used to than for someone who rides on less congested roads

I adjusted very quickly but only reach a junction every few miles once I clear the very small town where I live so it's very easy to remember to un clip at 'blind' junctions etc

I've yet to have an emergency stop situation with them so hope when I do it goes well!!

Top Bottom