How long will it take to get used to a compact chainset if you are used to a triple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
My old bike has a triple crankset and very low gearing, my new bike has a double and the gearing is much higher. I live on the edge of Dartmoor and some of the hills have a gradient of 20%, is a low gear of 34-28t ever going to be enough?

Getting up those hills with 22-34t already takes some doing, at the moment I'm contemplating buying an 11- 32t cassette, which is the biggest cassette that my rear mech can take, but I don't want to get into a situation where I'm swapping out lots of parts.

Has anyone made the leap from triple to double crankset? how was it, and how long did it take you to be able to cope with climbing without the option of spinning? Thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Only your legs will know. I don't know the circumstances but why did you buy a bike with higher gearing despite knowing the problems it would give you?
All is not lost as you can fit a triple again as I think a cassette with 32t may not be low enough, as I said only you will know. Can you swap stuff off the old bike?

kapelmuur

Veteran
My triple was stolen 12 months ago, I replaced it with a compact. So no time at all for me, although I did change the cassette to give me the same bottom gear as the triple.

I’m now also running a SRAM 1 x 11, so I’ve made life a little complicated.

Adam4868

Guru
Ive had them all and never really thought to much about it.Saying that ive got twenty gears on current set up and i dont think ive ever used some of the gears.

Triple or compact doesn't matter, gearing does. You don't have the same gearing, nowhere near the same bottom gear, so the question is can you manage with that and if you're struggling on your 22-32 because you're at your limit power wise, no amount of practise will get you up it on a higher gear. I wouldn't manage on a compact around Dartmoor, others might.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Only your legs will know. I don't know the circumstances but why did you buy a bike with higher gearing despite knowing the problems it would give you?
All is not lost as you can fit a triple again as I think a cassette with 32t may not be low enough, as I said only you will know. Can you swap stuff off the old bike?
Well, the bike was only £99 and has new Sram parts and a double butted Reynolds frame, so it was hard to pass up. ( I bought it on eBay on Christmas day)
My old bike is set up just right but it's heavy, I can't contemplate cannibalizing it for parts.
I'll be taking the new bike for a 78-mile ride later this week, from Wiltshire to Dorset where the hills are gentle, but if possible I'd also like to ride it for an 88 mile sportive on Dartmoor in about 5 weeks time......
I don't suppose that 5 weeks will be long enough to adjust to the difference and I'll end up taking my old trusty bicycle instead.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I never got used to it went back to a tripple and much prefer it. Compact double and I never semed to be in the right gear always swapping on the front then having to adjust on the rear.
I'm not happy about the idea of changing too many parts on this bike because the parts are pretty unworn and the bike looks great. If the legs won't take it then it may be wiser to either sell it as is.

Sharky

Guru
One of my geared bikes started off as a triple. Quite liked the gearing and you could really get up hills using a high cadence.
Upgraded to a compact and although gears were reasonable, ended up hating it. Always wanted to be in the "middle" somewhere which meant small/small cogs or large/large cogs and found my self forever having to change both levers at the same time.

In a fit of madness, took off the front changer and replaced the chainring with a 40t single and never looked back. Changing now is just one click up or down and all 10 gears are usable. Have two bikes now with a 1x10 set up and my other two bikes are SS/fixed, so only 10 gears is a luxury.

Top Bottom