How many bikes do you have and which one is your favourite?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Except that they aren't significantly heavier, in the case of aluminium at least. Aluminium is weaker than steel, so you need to use more of it, and you can't allow an alloy frame to flex in use because if it does it will eventually fatigue crack, so you have to build it overly stiff.
What you do get with alloy is a given degree of lightness at a lower manufacturing cost than steel, so long as you make them in a country where the energy required to smelt the alloy is low enough.
Titanium is also energy-intensive to refine and process into tubing suitable for bicycle frames, which is why most of the tubing and fabrication also happens in the far east.
Carbon fibre frames can be made significantly lighter than steel, which is why they now dominate pro racing. Where cost is no object carbon frames can be very light, but they carry significant drawbacks like effectively concealing critical structural faults and being more prone to certain type of impact damage.
Steel frames are more durable than both carbon fibre and aluminium, are less prone to in-service weld failures than titanium, and high quality ones can be made as light as aluminium albeit not quite as light as carbon.
I guess it's the low quality steel bikes that are heavy in this case.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I guess it's the low quality steel bikes that are heavy in this case.

The cheap ones are usually heavier than they need to be. The makers follow the fashion of building the frames with big diameter tubes, so uninformed buyers might think they are made from aluminium. The cheap steel bikes with suspension are really horrible, just like a tank to ride. Steel bikes that are not overbuilt and aren't trying to deceive the buyer do not have to be particularly heavy. They won't be that light, but they are acceptable to live with. The moral of the story is don't buy flashy throwaway junk designed for visual impact.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
the difference is 300g. 1500 g as opposed to 1800g for the Classico.
Whilst that may be a lot of weight for a pro road racer, for us mortals it doesn't really make any difference.

It's not much more than the difference between going out with a full water bottle and a half full one. 1,800g is incredibly light for a steel frame, literally half the weight of a cheapo hi-tensile one. The weight difference will all be in the carbon fork anyway in this case. It won't be in the frame itself.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

It's not much more than the difference between going out with a full water bottle and a half full one. 1,800g is incredibly light for a steel frame, literally half the weight of a cheapo hi-tensile one. The weight difference will all be in the carbon fork anyway in this case. It won't be in the frame itself.
What are the heaviest components of a bike? What makes mountain bikes so much heavier if it is not the steel frame?

Brummie53

As a returner to cycling after many years away I have just two bikes:-

1.Raleigh Royale 5 speed approx 1966-68

2.Apollo 10 speed - age unknown, bought second hand in 1996

Also lurking in the garage my sons Claud Butler MTB 1999

Favourite has to be the Raleigh as it is the only new bike I’ve owned !

All three currently off the road requiring overhauls. Hope to start soon.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Not such a bad collection as some of the bike snobs would have you believe.
Raleigh never built junk bikes, even the budget ones were durable.
Claud Butler made some very decent lugged MTB frames 30 years ago. I think the quality went downhill more recently though.
Even the much maligned Apollos weren't that bad in the 80's and 90's. Yes, they tended to be on the heavy side and might be seen by some as a bit agricultural in execution, but if properly maintained and not neglected they could still be expected to work OK and keep working OK for years.
A lot of the supposed quality issues with some cheaper bikes was largely down to the fact they were bought by non-enthusiasts who had no interest in, or concept of, regular maintenance. They would just bash them around, drop them on the ground, leave them out in the rain, never bother to lube anything - then slag the bikes off when they gave up the ghost.

vickster

Legendary Member
What are the heaviest components of a bike? What makes mountain bikes so much heavier if it is not the steel frame?
fat knobbly mountain bike tyres are heavy compared to road tyres too (well maybe not so much vs marathon plus :laugh:)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
fat knobbly mountain bike tyres are heavy compared to road tyres

Particularly if the MTB also has steel wheels, which were not uncommon on the lower budget 26" models from the 80s and very early 90's. Wide clearance unicrown MTB forks can be getting on for twice the weight of a high quality brazed steel road fork. Suspension forks are even worse still. Tubing is often way oversized and excessively heavy too.
An MTB frame doesn't have to weigh a ton to be strong, but they were often designed by people who had the mentality that more metal means better and were squarely aimed at the undiscerning buyer.

Gixxerman

Guru
Trek Madone 5.2 (2008) with Dura Ace. The gearing is a little too high for me now at my age.
Trek 7.3FX My first bike as an adult. Bought in 2009 when I decided to start cycling again. Now converted to a light tourer.
Trek 8500 MTB (2009) Bought of ebay in 2011 (replacing a Trek 4700 MTB that was my first toe dip into mountain biking). Liked mountain biking so much I bought a better steed.
Dahon Vybe C7A folder Bought to commute from park and ride, plus handy for getting from car garage to work when car is getting work do on it. Also served me well on Hill / Mountain walking trips, as I can use it for for non-circular walks.

The C7A gets ridden the most as it is the only one with flat peddles on it, so I use it for short trips round town.
My favourite is the 8500. Still a great bike despite how old it is and having 26" wheels. Getting difficult to find spares now though, so it may, sadly, have to get replaced with something more modern.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Van Nicholas Zepher with mixed 10spd Campag record/chorus
Guerciotti Record with 11spd Campag Athena
George Longstaff 531 tourer with mixed bits 3 x 10
Longstaff 11 compact Audax flat bars with mixed 1 x 9
Henry Burton of some kind , currently 3spd roadster set up
Specialized 2000 Enduro Pro
Specialized 2000 XC Comp
Cannondale 1988 M700
Kona Muni Mula 2000 mid project
Trice Classic in tourer setup 2006 cruciform upgraded to disks .
ICE VTX every ride is an event.

and I love them all

johnnyb47

Guru
I have 3 bikes.
I have a 37 year old Peugeot Equipe road bike which holds great sentimental value to me. It was £103 back in the day and still it's immaculate today. Its made of pig iron and is heavy compared to modern stuff, but the ride is so smooth and still feels great to cycle on. It only comes out for special occasions as I'm very protective about it.
My other bike is Specialized Allez.
I bought it second hand around 4 years back, and in perfect condition. This bike has been used as my main bike and have covered nearly 20000 miles on it. I've had very little problems and apart from the usual maintenance it's been a great bike. The only issues where the awful wheels that came with it.. Endless problems and promptly changed them to a pair of Fulcrum wheels.
My third bike was kindly given to me by my Ex brother in law. It's a Boardman MTB.
It mostly gets used in the winter when the roads around here are caked in cow muck anf salt.
It has a tough life and always seems to need constant attention keeping it sweet. It's not so much the fault of the bike but more of the filthy conditions it's used in.
Out of the three, the Peugeot would be the one I'm mostly attached to. It's not light or fast, but i just get a nice warm feeling riding it, knowing it's part of my history and reminds me of my belated mum who bought me one all those years ago 🤗
As its old school and in immaculate condition it also draws alot of attention from fellow cyclists which always makes a great talking point.
The Specialized has been the bike though for losing the weight on.
After spending a long time fettling the riding position its now perfect for spending many hours in the saddle burning off the lard..
Sadly i don't really gel with the MTB. It feels heavy, slow and uncomfortable, but it's great for the harsh winter weather

Zipp2001

Veteran
I had six, three for the trails and three for the road. But I gave the Zipp2001 (1993) single speed to my son, so now down to five. I am down from a high of around 15 bikes at one time. I guess if I had to choose a favorite it would be my last remaining Zipp2001. It will be the only bike that I keep till the end.

Top Bottom